Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Singularity Functions - Useful for beams with fixed ends? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ENG

Structural
Aug 25, 2010
US
I use singularity functions all the time for determining shear and moment diagrams for beams in MathCAD. My question is, can singularity functions be used when the beam has a fixed end(s)? I was assuming for a fixed end, that [θ]'=0 would be a boundary condition for solving for c1 and c2 in my [θ]' and [θ] equations, but I am not getting correct answers. I don't know if there is a mistake in my program somewhere, or if the mistake is my assumption of setting [θ]'=0 at the fixed ends.

Also, if anyone is familiar with both singularity functions and the moment distribution method, is there any advantage to the moment distribution method? I am not too familiar with that method, but I would think the only advantage is that the method can be applied to 2-D applications where singularity functions are limited to a continuous beam.

Juston Fluckey, E.I.
Engineering Consultant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Continuation of singularity function development: What if the beam doesn't have a continuous moment of inertia (e.g. a tapered beam).

I will do some thinking/research and get back to you all. Feel free to post anything you know/find.

Juston Fluckey, E.I.
Engineering Consultant

Quick response. I was planning on doing a sample calculation with the moment of inertia being a function of location and comparing it to my RISA results, but you were quicker. It seemed straight forward, but I wanted verification, which you gave me. Thanks ishvaaag!

Juston Fluckey, E.I.
Engineering Consultant

Additionally, it should be stated that the same could be done for varying modulus of elasticity.

Juston Fluckey, E.I.
Engineering Consultant

ishvaaag said:
A note for Mathcad users:
Note interestingly how the Mathcad vector was able to retain in Mathcad 2000 Professional solutions in different units (moments and vertical reactions). I have seen this kind of ability disabled in later releases.

You are right. I am using Mathcad 14 and it does not handle the units.

Juston Fluckey, E.I.
Engineering Consultant

I was a civil major for undergrad and graduate. My emphasis was structural. We are taught so many different methods to solve for moments and reactions for determinate and indeterminate members. I remember my sophmore year we skipped the singularity functions. Four years ago at work there was a co-worker who was a mechanical engineer student and recall that he was studying singularity functions. I usually choose moment distribution over the others since its quite simple for me. I have attached a copy of how simple moment distribution can be for beams.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=df69fd15-ed21-4f55-9bd2-23ccf768b58a&file=Moment_Distribution.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back