Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sketch Rectangle Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHalloran

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2003
US

I just sketched a 3 Point Center Rectangle, with the center aligned with the center of an existing circular object.

At least that's what I intended to do.

I could swear that when I clicked for the third point, the horizontal half- length of a side, SW accepted that width, and then all by itself shifted the whole thing to the right by half a side, so that what I drew ended up as a 3 Point Corner Rectangle, which was _not_ what I wanted.

Am I hallucinating, or is this another damn hoary old SW that everyone else already knows about?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This problem was raised before, but I can't find where yet.

There was/is a problem with the 3-point rectangle jumping off to one side.

Mike ... if the rectangle is to be oriented horiz' or vert', use either the Corner Rectangle (place 2 points then add a midpoint constraint) or the Centre Rectangle tool.

I don't know where you put the first point, putting it on the origin point, then it all works fine, but if you moved the cursor over the origin point (so there's a dotted line showing the inferred relationship) before placing the first point, it seems to put a coincident relationship to the left hand vertcal line, then after placing the third point, the rectangle will jump over to obey that coincident relation it automatically created. I don't know if this is the correct behaviour, I'm guessing that they expect you to put the first point on an actual entity rather than an inferred position, say a vertical centre line drawn down from the origin.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2009x64 SP4.0 Intel Core i7 2.94Ghz, 12Gb Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.8246
SW2009x64 SP4.0 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.17Ghz, 8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.8246

Yeah, I put the first point at an arbitrary location below the origin, after hovering over the origin and dragging down so the dotted blue line appeared.

... which >I< intended to mean that I wanted the center of the rectangle lined up with the origin.

... which is where the rectangle was while I dragged out and clicked the second point, and where it stayed while I dragged out the third point.

... but when I clicked the third point, the rectangle appeared briefly exactly where I wanted it, then blinked and reappeared >as if< I had asked for the left edge to be aligned with the origin.

... which I specifically had _not_ done and specifically did _not_ want.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,

I agree; it's exactly as you say, it should automatically create a vertical relationship between the "Point" created at the first click and the Origin you hovered over, but for whatever reason it creates a coincident relation with the LH vert line, I think this must be a bug.

Works arounds; Drop a centre-line like I said above, or delete the the errant Coincident on the LH verttical line then select the "Point" at the centre of the diagonals, control select the origin and add the required Vertical relation and the rectangle will jump back to where you intended it to be [banghead].

Dan,

It seems to work OK like that if you've got "Automatic Relations" turned off in "Sketch Settings". Unfortunately, nothing else in the rectangle gets any relations either so you can't drag anything without it all going awry!

Mike ... If you align the first point vertically with the origin, then place the second point at a distance horizontally, and the third point vertically ... it works.

If the second point is placed vertically from the first, the rectangle jumps off.

"I prefer to keep the auto-relations off"

So do I most of the time, they can be a real PITA. However, shouldn't items created by the rectangle tools, at least have the necessary relations to maintain their basic geometry added whatever the settings, so you can drag adjust the size and not wind up with a trapezium!! Maybe part of the same bug?

[lol] Try this one;

Place a construction line vertically down from the origin.
Using the 3-pont Centre Rectangle, place the first point at the end of the constuction line.
Place the second point somewhere else on the construction line.
Place 3rd point to the side.

New party trick, eh?

CBL,

If I do that, it seems to work OK, but I can can still drag the whole shebang away from the first placed point, unless I manually add the Vertical relation between the first "point" and the origin, even with Auto relations on.

If you created the vertical construction line first, and then placed the first point of the rectangle on the end of the construction line, you should not be able to move it sideways.

CBL,

My last post referred to yours at 14:19, not the one you posted at 14:30 while I was experimenting and typing!

Yes that last one works fine and is more or less what I suggested as a workaround in my first and second posts.

BTW, if you select the Three point center tool from the drop-down list, you get a Prompt in the Bottom Left of the screen that says "Click center, width and then length", to me it seems width and height would be better related to the screen and independant of the Sketch Plane, but maybe it's just me! If you select the tool directly from the top toolbar you don't get any prompt.

Ben Rosow here, Mike's VAR AE. Some of us seem to be able to work the 3Point CentRect just fine and others are having a problem. A couple of things. If you want a normal horizontal or vertical rectangle, why would you use the 3point Cent Rect over the plain old Cent Rect? The Cent Rect makes a perfect centered rectangle with 2 clicks, not 3. The 3point Cent Rect is there to be able to make a tilted centered rectangle. Even the icon is tilted. It is not intended to make any vertical or horizontal edges. You could add those after, but then you're doing more picks & clicks to make a Plain Cent Rect.

If you're getting the behavior that Mike described in his 17 Sep 09 13:30 post, make an RX an ssend it in to your VAR. I can't wait to see Mike's....

I just got mine to do what Mile's is doing, but it does not do it all the time. It only does it with the origin. If I line up the centerpoint vertically, I am not expecting any relationship at all even if autorelations are enabled. The rectangle center should be vertical to the origin but not related to it. What I am getting is when I draw the 2nd point vertically to the cpoint, I draw out to the side fo rthe 3rd point and get a centered preview and after clicking, it jumps to the same side adn the opposite side vertical line has a coincident relationship with the reference point. There should not be ANY relationship unless the Cpoint is ON an reference point. Ugly. Send in those RXs to your VARs and the greater numbers will raise the priority of this bug.

Note that I just tried the same thing lined up horizontally to the origin, draw right and then up. Same problem but the rectangle then jumps verticaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back