Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small DC Pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nornrich

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2002
US
All,

I am working on an application/product where I would like to use a small DC (6V) pump, capable of < 1/2 GPM flow, with about 5' of head. I have looked at some aquarium pump manufacturers, but they are all 110 VAC. This application is going to be remote battery operated with solar trickle charging, intermittent operation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Regards,

Rich.....[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nornrich,

Search Micropump's website and catalogue. You should be able to find this stuff on Google.

Critter.gif
JHG

Forget Micropump- you only need 5' of head. Try a recreational vehicle bilge pump- probably more flow than you need at 12V, but at 6 volts it might just work.

Does this fit?
- 6V
- $15.95

I happened to be working similar problems (sitting for the P.E. this month). I've attached an excel worksheet for you to play around with if the numbers change a bit.

Inputs (in yellow): head required, voltage, GPM, pump efficiency, specific gravity. It calcs things like: mass flow rate, Watts required, hp required, amperage required, and wire size to go with the particular load.

I just wanted to make sure you could get 5 feet of head from the 6 volts. Of course, it depends on the current, so you can see that the current draw isn't too bad 78mA requiring 32 gauge wiring or better.

DarrellThomasNV,

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Good luck with the PE exam. One word of advice, take along a bottle of Excedrin and/or Tylenol, because afterwards you are going to have a headache.

Regards,

Rich.....[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

congrats Darrell!

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back