Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Grid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't confuse the obfuscation of progress with cute gimics designed to sap government grants, misuse tax credits and increase costs to consumers in its name only. Having read quite a lot about this "thing" now, its plainly obvious to me that nobody knows what it is, nobody is even going to be able to handle the data generated by it, never mind ever make any productive use of it, and a lot of companies will be lined up at the slop trough until quite a few more cities figure out exactly what it is under the sheets and they too bail, or be crushed under its weight. Until more is understood about exactly what it is, how it will be used, and if they can even handle the data generated from it, there seems to be little need for pumping money into it like its the only solution to not building more nuclear plants. They're already 10 years behind on building the nucs that they damn well know will be needed and for which they have no alternative better technology at this time. The only way I'd go along with this smart grid at present is if someone convinced me it would lead to the flux capacitor being invented to finally make it work.

"I am sure it can be done. I've seen it on the internet." BigInch's favorite client.

"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

I can see that this thread is still running. No wonder.

I posted my findings about energy meters (see post 1 May 10 0:28) more than four months ago and I made my measurements more than six months ago. The utility that I did the work for sent my report to the national board of energy and also to the accredited body that has approved the meters for a comment.

I still haven't got that comment from any of the organizations and am contemplating to make the report public. I can see some legal issues, but the work is mine and I think that the copyright should be mine. I haven't signed any special agreements about non-disclosure. Anyone having insights in how I could proceed? Or should I not?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

>>>... The utility that I did the work for ...<<<

Here in The Colonies, that's a "work for hire". ... and not yours to release or distribute.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Probably the same here. But I think that these facts need to be known. It isn't about a few percent...

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Skogs,

While I am not a lawyer, and don't know anything in particular about Swedish law, from a common sense perspective, there should be nothing keeping you from redoing the work on your own time, and writing up the results again. I would encourage you to do the measurements, analysis, and write-up somewhat differently this time -- I'm sure that with the months you've been thinking about this, you have thought about ways to improve all three. They may own your original report, but not your knowledge.

My only reservation on this is that you think that you hae uncovered something so inflammatory that the powers that be would employ unfair means to keep the information suppressed.

Do you know any investigative journalists (on-line or print) that would be interested in a hot sotry from a "whistleblower"?

Curt

Skogsgurra said:
10 Sep 10 14:05
I can see that this thread is still running. No wonder.

I posted my findings about energy meters (see post 1 May 10 0:28) more than four months ago and I made my measurements more than six months ago. The utility that I did the work for sent my report to the national board of energy and also to the accredited body that has approved the meters for a comment.

I still haven't got that comment from any of the organizations and am contemplating to make the report public. I can see some legal issues, but the work is mine and I think that the copyright should be mine. I haven't signed any special agreements about non-disclosure. Anyone having insights in how I could proceed? Or should I not?

I figured out what you can do Gunnar.

Instead of releasing The Test Results, write a white paper on how you do the testing.

Make it cook book style so anybody with the interest can get the test set up and do it. There are people who want to know, but don't know where to start. There are media organizations who would like to know, but don't know where to start. With a white paper non-technicals can approach technicals and ask them to, "run this test".

You'll then have lots of people showing up with valid results and lots of questions. If the media doesn't do it themselves someone will get them involved. If the media has a rational white paper to reference as the test procedure, they won't fear that the provider is just a wacko with an axe to grind.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back