Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Backfilling monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guy,

For soil Proctor test, can the test result can be used in monitoring soil backfilling progress in certain area?(behind schedule) Or, can sieve analysis data plot against time can let tell us how far the backfilling progress is?

Thanks many

tsli

Perhaps you can explain your job a little better. It now appears you do need a little help in just how to inspect with the use of various soil tests. Each of the tests mentioned give information about the characteristics of the soil being used, but other tests also must be used, such as in-place density for quality control on the job. There may be specifications that your job must meet.

Hi Oldestguy,

Thank you for replying my message. The job (Assignment) that I involve with was happened long time ago. I can’t hard recall. As I remember. What my team (QA/QC team) did was do the proctor test for the water content of the soil, and did the in-place density for 98% compaction. I remember I collected those data from the technician and put into a excel file. I then, remember the Highway department look into the data that I had gathered and they could tell how’s the backfill progress in the field. My supervisor had told me that as the bell shape curve generate from the proctor text result, and check against the standard bell shape curve they can tell the progress. I’m just wanted to know what is the science between it.

Thank you

tsli

The only question that I can come up with as you explain, this is for a highway earthwork job. The cuts and fills ideally should balance so there is no need to borrow more material or waste any. Thus, one probably is dealing with what is termed "shrinkage", the change in volume for a given ton of material between the cut zone and the fill zone. Thus, with experience, and some classification tests (probably your Proctor and sieve test), you predict the "shrinkage" for a given section of the job.

As for monitoring, I suppose one might be concerned with a change in the predicted "shrinkage", which then may call for a change order to order more off site borrow, etc. than planned.

Hi Oldestguy,

Thank you for you reply. Your brough out very intereting point if shrinkage occur on a particular area, and it require more change order to order more off site borrow to meet certain garde level.It will affect the construction progress, cause delay or fall behind?

tsli001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back