Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid part with shell properites

Status
Not open for further replies.

wieczor

Structural
Jun 7, 2013
Hi all,
I'm using abaqus 6.12 and I want to create part which is a solid but has shell properties (this is a thin steel plate). So I made a part 3D --> deformable --> solid -->extrusion, in module properties I assign section shell homogeneous to this part. In section properties I set material and shell thickness and when Im trying to submit the job there is an error like this: "651 elements have missing property definitions. The elements have been identified in element set ErrElemMissingSection"
In Results module I fond that this part which couse error is only the plate so problem is in properties of my shell.
Anybody knows what should I do? I need to use this part becouse when I use only shell then I have a trouble with contact to this shell on a top and in the same time at the bottom surface of this shell.
Regards
Michal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I am understanding your issue correctly, I think you should try to use a continuum shell element (SC8R/SC6R). These are shell elements, which are defined similarly to solids/bricks. Give it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back