Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks - Add "REF" Text to Datum Target? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruenhir

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2019
US
Howdy folks -- looking to re-create an old drawing of ours in Solidworks. Our datum targets in the original drawing (created in NX6 when I was a wee babe) sometimes include the text "REF" in the upper half of the bubble. This is of course only when they're being used as references -- the defining datum target bubbles are defined with dimensions in the upper half of the bubble. Attached is another variant that we've used, which is to put the word "REF" next to the bubble. While we technically can do this in SW, it's not linked to the bubble so if we have to relocate a view or the bubble itself, the "REF" is left behind.
datum_target_ref_ypzl7m.png

My question is -- how do I tie text to the datum target bubble? The feature itself won't accept anything but a number. Creating a note that reads "REF" then attempting to use the "group" and "merge" annotation options doesn't work either.

Help is appreciated -- thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This maybe a software (SolidWorks) related question, but I guess since the question is asked in a dimensioning and tolerancing forum, I suppose an answer from a dimensioning and tolerancing perspective won't hurt. Just don't do it. Do not recreate the errors of old drawings. You can repeat a datum feature or datum target symbol in as many views as needed without identifying it as reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back