Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Square Tank Analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliEng

Structural
Feb 14, 2020
US
Seeking a reference for analyzing tanks with square sidewalls, rather than cylindrical. I understand the wall stresses are unique for each, with methods spelled out for cylindrical tanks in API 650.
Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just make sure you round the corners as much as you can.....

How big exactly?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

My experience:

No one has talked about tank costs,.. yet ....

At the insistence of the client and over the years, I have repeatedly priced rectangular tanks. I have repeatedly found that rectanglar and square tanks (designed for liquid service) are between 1.7 and 2.5 times as expensive as circular flat-bottomed tanks (API-650) of the same volume.

Suddenly, and always ... the client changes his mind ...

(I am only refering to rectangular/square steel tanks that develop strength through the use of flat walls braced by angle iron.... not tiny un-braced tanks)

In my opinion, unless there is some overwheming geometric reason for doing so, stay away from rectangular liquid retaining tanks .... Bulk solids are another story ..

Who disagrees ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I say even if you really need a rectangular tank don't try designing it yourself and then getting someone to fabricate it. I was tasked to design a large retangular oil and water separator tank is my junior engineering years for a Shell offshore platform. Took me forever - pages and pages of calculations. Stiffeners all over the place. Client did not want in the end and complained about issues with access for maintenance as they had inlet distributor boxes required and outlet oil troughs and other internals. I say even if you think you can structurally design it - leave it to the experts.

Thanks for all the resources. I am not actually designing the tank, but verifying a design is okay. Looks like I'll be diving into "Pressure Vessel Handbook" by Eugene Megyesy.

Personally I find FEA quick and effective for square or rectangular tanks. That said I've started doing these so often that I'm now creating an excel file with hand calcs that churns out a suitable answers.

The 'tanks' I do are for bulk solids so the pressures are usually a little lower, but more variable and harder to calculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back