Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StaadPro using LVL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iasonasx

Structural
Jun 18, 2012
US
I am trying to fill in the qualities of LVL for StaadPro. I get some from the TJ-9000 but as I don't usually use StaadPro I am not sure about sources for this material. Naturally, those that carry a value of 0 in my screenshot are unknowns to me. Any possible input on this?
Thanks?
Screen_Shot_2022-02-08_at_5.21.45_PM_hp9a6m.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never used Staad...but the fact that you're trying to input a wood or engineered wood product in as an isotropic material is a bit concerning.

@phamENG: You're absolutely right, but the Orthotropic option does not provide qualities that are available in the isotropic tab.

Fy would be similar to Fb which is subject to the factors as detailed in Table 8.3.1 of AWC NDS. These factors include load duration, beam stability, repetitive member, and volume factor (which is normalized and adjusted by the depth of the member, refer to the product code report). Obvious to say, this value varies based upon member depth and load duration effects.

Something is wrong with your numbers: 67 kip/ft^2 for shear modulus? 2.6 kip/ft^2 for MOE? 0.036 kip/ft^3 for density? How are you getting these numbers?

Thank you ChorasDen. That was a good catch. The MOE of LVL should have been 2.88E5 KSF. The value comes from their catalog. As for the density, I usually refer to specific weight of wood (usually Southern Pine) at 36 lbf/ft^3. I don't know the exact value for LVL but I would not expect that to have too much of an effect. I guess I can probably bump it up to 40 lbf/ft^3 since it is engineered wood and play it safe on that. The shear modulus was just a number there. I did not set it to zero. I used that graphic just so show what it looks like really and ask if anyone knows where I can obtain those numbers.
Screen_Shot_2022-02-08_at_6.18.25_PM_mb4guh.png

Material weights per linear foot are provided on the previous page of that document, you can convert the product dimensions to get a density if you need that value. I got 42 psf.

Code report may have more information that could be helpful. Looks like it's ESR-1387 as shown on page 3 of tj-9000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back