Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stackup Tolerance Study. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxb060411

Aerospace
Apr 11, 2006
US
Hi, I am trying to find a good example of “stackup tolerance analysis.” For example, parts bolted to each other & the total stackup not to exceed such & such using RSS method.

Thanks.
Al.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Drafting Standards, GD&T & Tolerance Analysis Forum

forum1103

If you don't get the answer you need here, people thrown on double posts though.

"Root Sum Squared" analysis or sometimes called "the law of propagation of uncertainty" is a method of combining uncertainty components estimated as standard deviations.
If i'm correct then its a method of combining components in a mathematical model, but i dont think tolerances can be simply combined using Root Sum Squared. The maths assume normal distribution and this might be un-conservative as it excludes the possibilites of items being at the max/min end of their tolerance boundaries. It is better suited to a large amount of items where statistically they will follow the standard deviation trend as a whole. However never having carried the process out i'm probably not the best suited to give you full guidance.

Practically speaking though, i would think that the allowable stack-up of a particular group of items would be dependant upon the relative geometric properties of each. I was always told that if it looks good then it probably is, if it looks cr*p then...

Well said sigma38, prevent the problem at root, rather than spending time/money trying to prove that it isnt a big problem

Thanks for everyone’s input.

I have recently purchased a book, “Mechanical Tolerance Stackup And Analysis” by Bryan Fischer & would take me a little bit to go thru all of it, it has lots of examples from aerospace. Also, the last post is very informative.

We’ll talk more soon...

Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back