Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Design Guide with Examples? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyDuster

Structural
Jan 23, 2008
US
Hey everyone,

I have recently been thrown into the fray fresh out of college and have stumbled upon this site which has already helped me immensely. However, I was talking to another new graduate here and we both came to the same conclusion that it would be nice to get a book that has some steel design examples in it.

Our company doesn't deal a whole lot with concrete, just steel. We are an industrial design firm for pressure vessels and walkway platforms to name a few things. We are currently ordering our personal copies of Bednar for the pressure vessels, but we have yet to find a decent steel design book, with examples, as a reference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Duster

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For general structural steel design, Salmon & Johnson is hard to beat. I have 5 steel design books and I'd have no trouble letting go of any of them except for S&J. It has plenty of examples.

271828-
Do you know when the 5th edition is supposed to be out? I've had it pre-ordered since April and the date has been moved back 6 times already. I can't even get a date now.

Yeah I just found the 4th edition at amazon, it's from 1997, 10 years old already. I still think I'm going to get it though, looks like it would be a great addition, and so does SCI's Design book! Thanks!

"Design of Welded Structures" by Blodgett is a good reference too. It's older but I really like it.

You pick it up for like $25 too.

-StructuralEIT

I don't remember where I saw it, but one of the sites I visited about S&J 5th edition stated that is set to come out September 08.

Heck, if I was in a hurry, I'd just buy the previous S&J edition for cheap (hopefully) and then buy the new one in 2009 (LOL) when it's available. 13th Ed. LRFD/ASD isn't that much different from 3rd Ed. LRFD. The vast majority of concepts are the same and anybody who would want to study can figure out the little details where they are different.

I am teaching a steel class at the local university this semester (don't let anyone ever con you into doing that), but I am using the Segui book (Steel Design, Fourth Edition, William Segui (Thompson Press) ) Which is pretty good, but I just recently received a desk copy of Unified Design of Steel Structures, 1st Edition Louis F. Geschwindner published by Wiley. Geschwinder is Mr. ASCE himself, and I am impressed with that book. Both books are full of examples in both ASD and LRFD.

akastud

I have a copy of Unified Design of Steel Structures. It is a good book with a lot of examples, BUT, it does say in the beginning that it is meant for a first design class in steel only (unless the first design class doesn't go into great depth). It doesn't cover many advanced topics, but is a good book to get your feet wet.

I'll have to say Salmon and Johnson too. Have learned quite a bit from the 4th ed of that book.

Though, it kinda irks me that you say it'd be nice to have reference books instead of this site. It should be the other way around. Remember, if something goes wrong and you dont have published material to back you up you're going to be in trouble. Need to be very careful what you use on this site. Eng Tips is a nice guide to get you going on ideas, but I think some people wrongly substitute it for a legitimate reference.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I don't use this site as a reference, I use it for clarification. I posted this topic to see what other people are using for references. The only thing I've pulled off of this site was how to calculate the volume of an elliptical head, and that was after I double checked with the PEs around here and various textbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back