Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step file that retains assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

will-eng

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2016
US
I would like to create a step file of an assembly that when imported it comes in as a multi-level assembly. I have many parts broken out in the assembly that give description on what they are and intended uses. Currently when i import the step file in, it just comes in as a bunch of dumb bodies and loses the assembly structure.

When i import i make sure that the flatten assembly check box is not selected. I have imported step files from other companies that creates assembly components when i import it, so i know it is possible. Just wondering what i am doing wrong with either the export process or the import process.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We work with very large assemblies so we have it set to not open the whole thing. Didnt think that it would effect an export. But now i know

will-eng said:
Didnt think that it would effect an export.

It doesn't. It affects how that assembly is processed when you're opening the STEP file, hence Assembly LOAD Options. The options for exporting are in the STEP Export dialog - that just sets the structure during export, not during import or opening.

Also, you DO NOT need to have External References ticked ON in order to export an NX Assembly with the asm structure intact. When that option is turned ON and the Export Components pulldown is set as NX, it will export every component and sub-asm as NX files. If Export Components is set to STEP, it will do the same except the components and sub-asms will be STEP files. If you turn OFF External References, you will end up with a single STEP file that opens with the entire assembly structure intact. I prefer to leave the external references OFF.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I use the external translator for maintaining assembly structure and multiple components. I use it very often and it always works. You may need to adjust the "Layers to Export" or check the types of geometry you want.

EDIT: You only need to select the assembly(s) that you want translated. No need to select components.

blob_fxspre.png

blob_doqn6k.png

blob_tq1qzs.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back