Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Suggestion - forum title change? 5

Brian Malone

Industrial
Jun 15, 2018
US
Just a suggestion: change the title of this forum to Climate Adaptation Engineering or something similar. I certainly believe human actions change / affect weather patterns but I also believe the planet and its systems are fluid and dynamic and free to change for reasons not understandable or observable in the timespan of human existence.

Certainly, many of the challenges seen today are driven by human actions or human presence and that colliding with natural systems often creates less than desirable outcomes for humans.

Humans are dependent on energy. We use it to warm us, cool us, feed us, entertain us, heal us, and protect us, etc. We have to burn something, divert something, or extract / gather something to provide the energy that human society runs on. This by definition will collide with natural systems that operate not by defined expectations and wants, but by adjusting to what is there. As societies become more technology based, more energy is required and this will by necessity cause more potential for colliding with natural systems. I doubt if anyone in modern society wants to reduce the conveniences tech / mechanization provides so the energy needs won't reduce. The question on any level of 'climate change' may never be definitively answered for many generations but the need for energy and minimization of impact with natural systems will always be present with us everyday. Maybe I am being too pollyannish to think by changing the title of the conversation (losing the squabble over whether change is happening because of humans or not) will allow better development and evaluation of technology to help humans accommodate the variations in climate and minimize our impact. The most we will ever be able to do is minimize impact because we need energy/resources and those have to be removed from the environment and we do not return that energy to its original form.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd suggest "Endless Bitching sometimes about Climate Issues", but meh ...

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

...or 'Climate Modification Engineering'. Oh wait, the current title is 'Climate Change Engineering'.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Tell that to the people in DeSantosland, and connecting states.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I cannot imagine that sort of stupidity, except from a politician.

-----*****-----

-Dik

yeah, but politicians owe their position for a majority of the voting public ...

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

dik said:
I cannot imagine that sort of stupidity, except from a politician.

I'm not a huge fan of it. But, it's a way of positioning himself as someone who opposes "woke" ideology. That's kind of his thing. Most people hate the kind of "woke-ness" that he fights back against. Things like:
a) Crazy Covid Lockdown policies (and fear mongering) as virtue signaling.
b) Teaching / sexualizing young children with gender theory crap.
c) Adding DEI criteria into the classroom at every age level.

This is one of the reasons why he help turn Florida from a purple to a solidly red state. I suspect that what he's really trying to do is take this global warming alarmism (indoctrination?) out of the classroom. And, making sure that this type of extremism doesn't become any more of a regulatory obstacle in his state.

and the US has over a million fatalities to show for their efforts. Sad...

-----*****-----

-Dik

That's even scarier.

-----*****-----

-Dik

As an outsider, both candidates are part of a much greater problem.

My second employer of over 50 years ago likened politicians to a bunch of pigs at a trough. He said, "Only the pigs change."

-----*****-----

-Dik

did you watch "Deadwood" ? Their caricature of politicians was (is) spot on !

Thanks for considering the suggestion!

Climate impact is always going to be a tough dance since human actions will generally always affect the environment.

Solar almost provides a minimal impact - it does collect energy that is from outside the Earth's environment but we all know the limitations of solar.

I suspect solar will be one of the leading types of electrical power in the future, even with its limitations.

-----*****-----

-Dik

dik said:
and the US has over a million fatalities to show for their efforts. Sad...

What are your trying to say with this response to the crazy lockdown policies? That the policies should have been MORE stringent. Or, that they were not effective?

FWIW, I had no objection to the 3 weeks to stop the spread lockdown. We didn't know much, this virus was spreading very fast and had overwhelmed some other countries already. It made sense.

But, at some point (sometimes between the original 3 weeks and the 18 months of lockdowns we had), our policies became crazy. For the following reasons:
a) As soon as we had a vaccine that was available (and distributed) for the most vulnerable, we should have dropped all the lock down crap.
b) We kept schools closed not because there was ANY science that suggested young people were more at risk for serious illness from Covid than they were from seasonal influenza. They were kept closed because the teachers unions wanted them closed. And, our students suffered dearly for it.
c) There is now a lot of evidence that the various lockdown policies were not particularly effective. In fact, I'm pretty sure that masking was KNOWN to be ineffective from very early on. In a hospital setting, with the right equipment, worn by people who take it seriously, yes I think they work. But, the vast majority of the public didn't wear the right kind of masks and / or didn't wear them properly.

My belief is the various red states with more lax policies had better overall experiences with Covid. Their economies were stronger, their kids' mental, social, and intellectual growth were not adversely affected. Fewer bankruptcies. Less reliance on government handouts. More freedom and self determination.

Back