Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestion on how to handle bulk shredded paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfio

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2005
US
I am working on a project that will use shredded paper and wood chips to make cubes/pellets. I have the following two questions that I hope people in the paper industry can answer.

1) The process requires shredding paper to sizes < 1/2". Paper comes in pre-shredded to sizes < 3". What would be the best type of equipment to shred about 2.5 ton/hr? I looked into paper shredders but normally they won't make such a small size.

2) Once the paper particles (< 1/2") are separated in a cyclone, they will be sent to a bin. From the bin, paper needs to be conveyed to a (probably belt) conveyor. What is the recommended way to feed the conveyor from the bin? I though about some options like elevating the bin and adding a rotary valve; using screw conveyors on the bottom of the bin; using a live bottom bin, etc but I don't feel too sure that they will work due to the possibility of bridging, pluging, etc.

What suggestions could you experts give me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back