Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Suitable material for low temp gas stream 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

green1959

Chemical
Mar 11, 2004
GB
I am involved in a project to design pressure equipment handling either Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Oxygen or a mixture of these - all at very low temperatures. These will all be gaseous within the equipment. Design temperature is -257C/-430F, design pressure is 20 barg.

Could someone please suggest an appropriate material of construction, bearing in mind the equipment has to be designed to a recognised design code such as ASME B31.3 or ASME VIII or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pipe material that would handle this service temperature is either 304L or 316L austenitic stainless steel. The design code would be either ASME B31.1 or B31.3.

Additional information;
For compressor or pump pressure retaining parts or receiver tanks in this application use ASME B&PV Code, Section VIII, Div 1 design rules for low temperature service.

Dear metengr,

Thanks for the info. I checked ASME B31.3, Appendix A, table A-1 and saw that the minimum temperature for either 304L or 316L is stated as -425F which is just short of the -430F which I need. Do you have any further advice?

Thanks in advance.

green1959;

Per ASME B31.3 - 2004 Edition, section 302.2.4, paragraph h), materials that are to be used below the minimum temperature in Appendix A Table A-1 can be used provided the requirements of paragraph 323.3.2 are met.

Please review this paragraph, it is too detailed to summarize here. There should be no problems using this material if it is in a solution heat treated condition prior to service.

Meeting the impact test requirements for the welding procedure at -430F could pose a problem, especially if the Customer establishes absorbed energy limits. GTAW may be the only process acceptable for SS welding. Control of weld filler metal ferrite below 6% may be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back