Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Supply refereces with resume ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dye4

Military
Mar 3, 2004
US
Increasingly companies want your references at the first contact with them, like attached to a resume.

I don't think it appropriate to supply my references until there is some level of contact with the company.

I may not even want the job after all.

My point is not to have my reference people bothered unnecessarily
and possibly very frequently.

If i omit my references does it automatically disqualify me even though i might have a very relevant resume.

Opinions, comments please

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not think so. I also agree with your sentiment. It also depends on what stage of career you are at this time. In the early years, I think references provided with resume helps. At the latter stages, they become tricky, but you have more bargaining power too.

I would treat this on a case by case basis. To head hunters say no. If you are dealing directly with a prospective company, you can give them one or two references with a caveat, that do not call them unless you have a interview first.

Rafiq Bulsara

I agree. Don't supply references until asked..in person or as a follow up to an interview.

I've reviewed hundreds of resumes and interviewed lots of people for jobs...I don't care about references at all until after I talk with the person and even then they are low on the credibility scale. I prefer to do my own digging.

I will supply references when they are requested. ... which is happening later in the process these days.

... or not at all.

It's no trick to find people who know me, once you find my Facebook or LinkedIn page.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike...exactly right....and that's what makes references essentially worthless. Who would supply a bad reference?

My resume (I've been out of engineering for 10 months now) says that references are available upon request. I would love a potential employer to call my references. My last near miss I gave several references who were never called.

Of course I would not provide a bad reference, but there are many people I have worked with who would give good references. To quote a project manager who I keep in touch with and supply as a reference, " i hope they call and I will give you a glowing recommendation." Ron may even be able to give me a positive recommendation :). I disagree with Ron that recommendations are meaningless.

There are many who would be able to supply a basic work record but fewer who would have the references actively respond enthusiastically. In the same manner I would give a neutral response for some who may have me listed as a reference but for a few people I have worked with I would gush over.

About references being worthless, I somewhat disagree. The trick for the interviewer is to ask penetrating questions and really listen to the answers. It's not real comfortable, but you have to do it. If someone lies to you, you're out of luck. But most people will answer questions in a truthful enough manner to extrapolate the truth.
If you just ask if the employee to be is a good guy, of course the reference is going to say yes. Ask about why he/she left, what were their strengths, did they get along with others, etc.
I had a old fashioned partner who always made me call references. He gave me questions to ask and I had to give him the answers. And he grilled me about the tone of the call. It always was a worthwhile exercise.

I have had to supply references that were checked during a break in the interview. My engineering school was indifferent about providing info. During one hiring, I was obliged to provide the original of my engineering degree. A copy would have sufficed, but they were very demanding.

When I am sorting through a stack of resumes, I don't care to see references, particularly if it adds more pages/staples, etc. to my stack. If interested, then I'll want your references. However, everyone is different.

When going through a large stack of resumes, if something in the first part of your resume doesn't catch the attention of the person hiring, they probably won't even get to the references anyway.

What is surprising is how often references are never approached.
I'm pretty sure that some potential employers just look to see that you have them and that they look like they'll be good, and as Ron asks, who would give a bad reference?

Of course, checking references might have saved my last company employing an illegal immigrant who had taken his identity and his CV wholesale from the internet.

JMW

I have seen at least one job shop requiring references before they will submit you for a job. That was a first for me. I agree with most here that references should be upon request from the hiring company. I don't trust job shops with such information without knowing if any submittals are even being considered. It seems too much like data gathering for their own benefit. Get me a legitimate interview, and I will happily give the references.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

You have to give your references a heads up before you go to the interview that they may get a call.

I interviewed for a job that would need a security clearance.

While I was in the interview room, they called the people on my list. For one of them the call was unexpected, he blurted out " He's a good guy,he really knows his stuff, but he talks too much."
Needless to say I did not get the job.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back