Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface finish after nickel plating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theedudenator

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2006
US
Can someone explain the expected change in surface finish after a part is subjected to electroless nickel plating?

I would expect the finish to measure a bit rougher.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There isn't a definite answer. Some plating will replicate the surface, some plating solutions include additives specifically for 'leveling' (especially copper used as an undercoating for bright nickel+chrome.)

With electroless nickel, probably slightly smooths a rough finish and slightly roughens a superfine finish.

Also, pre-plating can include etching or polishing treatments.

Anodizing definitely roughens surfaces, but only usually measurable with hard anodize.

I was hoping that you would get a more authoritiative answer, but I'll comment. There is a minimum surface finish that you can get with plating.
My experience with EN is that with smooth machined surfaces (better than 20microinch) the plated surface had a distinct texture. Not only was it slightly rougher, but it was almost stippled or bumpy. When we had a rough irregular surface (like a sand casting) the plated finish was a little smoother.
We were not doing anything to try and control the surface or the looks. This was just to protect parts.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Re EdStainless's experience with EN on smooth machined surfaces. A 'stippled or bumpy' EN surface usually indicates inadequate filtration of the plating solution, allowing suspended particules to be 'occluded' into the coating. Such occlusions can be intentional, as when SiC or Teflon particles are co-deposited within the EN.

I deal with electroless Nickel plating all the time and most of my plated parts have a very smooth surface and are plated Ni at 150-250 microinches.

Here are the plating companies I use. A reperesentative may be able to help you out:

General Metal Finishing, Attleboro, MA
Hi-Tech Gold plating, Worcester, MA

Electroless Nickel should mimic the surface of the substrate. If the substrate is polished, the EN plate will be bright - if the substrate is etched, matte finish (assuming all components are within their operating parameters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back