Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2006: Dimensioning (and other things) in Sketch not Working Correctl

Status
Not open for further replies.

brengine

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2001
US
We upgraded a couple weeks ago from SW2004 sp5.0 to SW2006 sp2.0. We actually did a fresh install of SW2006 then uninstalled SW2004.

Since the upgrade many users here have noticed that after being in a SW secession for about 1-2 hours, that while in a sketch when I select the Smart Dimension and then select the entity(s), the actual dimension (text, extension lines, and arrows) is *not* visible until I click somewhere to place the dimension. So I can still insert dimensions, but I can’t see where to place them until they’ve already been inserted (then I have to select and move them).

Simultaneously while doing this, the Delete and Escape keys on my keyboard don’t work. Also any shortcut keys do not work at this time either. 2 other Users have confirmed this same behavior, and the others were unsure whether they were having the same problem with their keyboard keys or not.

It’s happened 3 times today (in less than 6 hours) and I have been restarting SW to fix the problem…but that is very frustrating when I have a large assembly open that I have to close, knowing that I’ll have to re-open and resolve it after re-starting SW.

Has anyone else seen this?
Thanks,
Ken

SW2006 sp2.0
Dell Precision 370
Dual 2.8 GHz processors
2MB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX1300 with SW approved driver

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Dimension issue sounds like a video card or driver issue.

2) As for your keyboard shortcuts, did you backup the *.cus file from SW04? You can use them in SW06 but you have to set up the same way it was in SW04 file folders. SW05 and SW06 do not use Shortcuts like it used. Instead these are saved in the Registry rather then in a file like previous versions had it. If you removed SW04 and and the *.cus files without backing it up. You will have to manually reset them.

3) As for the ESC and Delete key not working sounds like a hardware or windows problem. - You should check to make sure you have latest driver for you Keyboard in that case.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

#1) I'll check into that.

#2 & #3) I had re-done all my keyboard shortcuts when we first installed SW2006. Once I re-start SW my shortcuts, Delete, and Escape key all work fine in SW. All of those keys work fine in other programs. Its only once I've been running SW for a while do they all of the sudden stop working in SW, but the keys still work fine in other programs. Then once I close SW and then start SW again do the keys work correctly in SW again.

It's really wierd. Like my previous problem, I'm leaning towards User error (or at least User messing with a setting I shouldn't have)...but I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks for the input,
Ken

cliffcalgary, your problem is probably your video card. Check that out and the drivers.

Ken,

Seem to me that if you keyboard keys stop working, the thing you should test is when this starts happening to luanch Word and see if the same thing happens there. If so, then it's windows and you IT should look at it. The other thing that keeps coming to my mind is the RAM. Because you say it works fine for a while then stops. If you are running out of RAM then you might be paging the HDD and it working, just slow at responding. I have seen this happen with video being slow, because the video card was running out of RAM. This usually happens with unsupported cards though.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I've had the same problem with the dimensions, but just considered it another bug I had to live with. This is using the drivers recommended from SW website on a verified card : It usually clears up after rebooting, so I think it may be a system ram issue. I haven't had any issues with the escape buttons or anything that I can think of.

Flores
SW06 SP2.0

We also have this same issue. We are using a Quadro fx500 card with the proper drivers. We have reinstalled, repaired, and modified our installation. We also have issues where all our surfaces "blow up" in shaded mode. If you go to wireframe it looks fine. We usually continue to work on the project and sometimes it goes away. Like if you double click a dimension to change it everything works again. Kind of weird. I am getting a new box with a fx3000 card it in and I will see if that helps.

Jason Forward
Solidworks 2006 sp2.1

Also experiancing the dimension/sketch issue in 2006 sp2.0. I also have a fx500 with current driver listed on the site.

Mike Puckett
Los Angeles/Orange County
Solidworks User Group

I have both the FX1100 and FX500 and have not seen any of what you guys are talking about.

Try this driver 77.56 and follow faq559-1194

Regards,

support69 [conehead]

likewise here, no problems in sw05 with the dimensions. If you check the display dimensions flat to screen in the Options under Display it helps cut down on the occurences, but not all of them. I have a quadro FX1400 with SW recommended drivers....do we see a pattern here. I'm also running Acad along side of SW (not that I want to, it came with the new job...been with SW for 9 yrs now...it's painful to use 2D).

I'm running in Software OpenGL mode before driver updating.

I'll let you know. But as it's been said..it's always a video card issue. But who can keep up!!

John

Updated latest driver, helps but still goes inviso on me every now and then, but less then the last SW approved driver (how can they keep up anyway). First real hiccup I've had with Nvidia cards (on the mid-high end models).

I'm sure the company won't let me buy a new card too. But this isn't a stability issue, just a PITB issue.

John

jt4ward - we are having the exact same problems as you with NVidia QuadroFX1000 and FX1100 cards.

Which version of the video driver are you using? We were using the recommended 71.84, but rolling back to the 2004 recommended 67.22 seemed to resolve the issues.

I get the same dissapearing dimensions and lines during a sketch running sp1. Did anybody see if sp3 takes care of this?

"Perfection - a result of many mistakes."
BJH

I have the same problems with my computer.

1. Dimensions disappear when trying to place them
2. Hot keys stop working
Shutting down and reopening SW fixes the problem

SW2006 SP2.0
FX 3400 Driver Ver. 7.1.8.4
1GB RAM
FX-57 2.81GHZ
Windows XP Pro

Have the same problems, and have had them since '06 install (still on SP0.0)

I have updated my video card drivers and it still occurs - just as frequently.

This isn't a video card problem. I've wondered a number of times if it could be a memory problem. Our computers aren't at the SW recommended memory levels.

Windows 2000
P4 2.40 GHz
Video Card -
Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
Card: Quadro4 900 XGL/PCI/SSE2
Driver: 6.14.10.7184

If things start disappearing on your screen in the graphics area, then it's a graphics card/Driver issue.

Contact your VAR, because I have seeen this issue and 77.56 driver, because those that have seen this issue said this driver helped, but didn't entirely fix the issue.

SW is presently working on this issue.

Regards,

support69 [conehead]

support69,

I do understand what you're saying about disappearing stuff possibly being video card related...but why is it that simultaneously any Shortcut Keys, the Delete Key, and Escape Key all stop working? It just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Ken

I've gone back to 67.22 driver as "engAlright" mentioned, but it did not correct the display problem. I've up the latest driver, at the current recommended driver, and now back to the older 67.22 driver. I hope the problem is resolved soon. Being a popular video card series there must be thousands out there with the same problem.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back