Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SW2016 either snapping issue or sketch is just moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2002
CA
I am a long time SW user. I recently did a clean install of SW2016 on a new computer. All of the default settings are therefore original SW settings.

One of the things that is frustrating me is when I import a dxf file. The dxf file was always imported previously in other SW versions so that the center of the file was perfectly centered on the origin. With my new SW2016 installation, it is very close but not always perfectly centered on 0,0. the amount that it is off is random but its small like 0.00000021, 0.00000003 and I have to do a move to get it back on 0,0.

Is there a setting that I am missing? I know its not the dxf files because in other versions of SW this was never a problem. Its frustrating me. I am now correcting 20 to 30 sketches a day this way and I could be spending my time more efficiently.

On a 2nd question...if you permit me. This is a problem I have had with SW now for 15 years so its not new but there must be a better way. Sometimes when I open a dxf file in a part sketch I just want to take it, copy it and then insert the sketch onto a plane on some other part. If I highlight the sketch (in sketch mode) copy then go to the new sketch in the other part file, click on its origin then paste, I never get the sketch to enter right on the origin. Sometimes its off a lot and I have to move the sketch. Is there a different technique to doing this that will get it on the origin every time. BTW the original dxf file and sketch began centered on its origin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am going to bump this again. I still cant figure out why moving a sketch - even when I use 8 digit accuracy does not always result in moving it exactly where I want it. Sometimes its off slightly out to the 7th or 8th decimal

Did you setup all your file locations and make changes to the tools\options after your clean install?

If so, I would back up your all your settings and reset SW to default and immediately start a part and test it out. If it fixes it, then open an existing part and try it again. if that fixes your issue, then its something in your settings or in the registry that is being set.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Scott
I reset the tools / options as you suggested and opened an existing dxf file - of a 2D gear form. I always explode blocks.

In other versions of solidworks, the center of the outside tips of this form were always located at exactly 0,0. After reset in 2016 as you suggested the reading was -.00000009,0 - see attached screen shot -
Sometimes the same dxf file opens up at a different center. It is frustrating moving these files back on 0,0 manually; especially because solidworks will not move it by such a small amount in one step - i have to move the whole sketch by a larger amount like +.10000009 then a 2nd move by -.1 to get it back on 0,0.

Even when trying to do this manually, sometimes you give it the exact shift and it goes off by a slight amount yet again.

Any thoughts as to why SW 2016 is finicky like this?

I had one further thought:

From my sketch you will notice that there are multiple circular arcs. Is it possible that SW2016 does some sort of calculation on the centers of all of those arcs combined and then inserts the sketch onto its own recalculated center of the sketch?

If this is what is happening, can this be turned off?

If SW2016 is the first release you are seeing issues importing dxf files, then I would consider you lucky. In the 15 years I have been using SW, I very seldom have been able to import a dxf (or dwg) without some type of rounding error. Since I only use this imported geometry for reference, it has never been a big problem. But this is not why I am posting a response to yours. For your second question, I have found that if I convert the geometry I want to copy to a block, I can then use relations and dimensions to locate it accurately in the new sketch.

SolidAir
I have been using dxf files of this type for nearly 15 years with solidworks - every release every year. It has always worked well except in 2009 I believe when they started with the block thing. Their block technique made it cumbersome to deal with the dxf files. As a result of my creating a request, they added the explode blocks feature which fixed all the issues - until 2016.

Now I really don't know what is going on - like I said - I think they have some sort of algorithm that is trying to center it for me - if that's it its not working - and I want to shut it off

Now I have a new problem and I wonder if its windows 10.

I loaded in a dxf file to create a new part - it is of a gear - the outside diameter is 50 mm.

To be safe, I historically highlight the entire gear in the sketch and hit fix. I did this now as well. Then on the same sketch I draw a circle - lets say I draw it slightly larger than the outside diameter of the gear then click dimension and dimension it as 55 mm in diameter.

Boom!
The circle has not changed size to match 55 mm. But the diameter is now 55 mm - ok fine - but the gear has magically shrunk smaller even though it was fixed. Say 48.223 mm

WTF ????

This is in 2015 and I never had that happen in 2015 before on Windows 7. Can it be windows 10 is f'd up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back