Swivel joint design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediumRare

Computer
Sep 28, 2006
ZA
Hi

I suspend large metal objects ready for spray painting from a beam using chains, S-hooks and U bolts. The #1 problem is that the painter has to move around the object during spraying, instead of being able to rotate the object around on one axis. Problem #2: the joint must be able to take heavy loads (100 kg +) and problem #3 the joint must tolerate foreign material such as metal dust, overspray and shock. Any tips about designing and making a simple swivel joint - apart from going to buy one?

Much Appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a stub shaft and wheel bearing assembly from a car front axle. It will carry the load, handle more shock than you will ever be able to apply and it will be well sealed.

Naresuan University
Phitsanulok
Thailand

thanks arto, but I prefer build to buy - money is a factor here.
Artisi - salvaged wheel bearing + parts + clevis pin + 2 x 5mm flat plate = swivel joint. Interesting, I'll give it a try. My two other bearing designs failed due to contamination and stess.

Thanks.

Safety is also a factor! If these 100kg+ parts are suspended off the ground I would strongly recommend that unless you and you only are the one who will be using these swivels for your own personal use that you purchase a swivel such as those linked by Arto. If you don't use something that is rated for lifting and it fails for some reason then you or your company could be held liable. Part number 3527T4 from McMaster-Carr a swivel hoist that's rated for lifting for only $63. Part number 3719T61 is a swivel hook with a ball bearing for only $105. That's a small price to pay to reduce potential liability, not to mention the tragedy of someone being injured by a cobbled-together homemade swivel joint. No offence intended.

Hi handleman

No offence taken. I know about the liability of workplace accidents, but I'm going to make one anyway just to try out myself. The production joint is going to come from a local engineering firm that uses the joint in truck engine hoists.

Thanks

You can make a simple Knuckle Joint, something quite common in the oilfield industry, downhole tooling.

Go to the "Vanoil Equipment Inc" website and take a look through their online catalog. You can see various layouts for Knuckle Joints, pick one and customize it for your own personal use.

This is not a complicated thing, have buddy run a few stress computations for you to ensure strengths.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back