Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Table QW452.1(a) - Note2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnkn

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2015
TR
Note 2 says "Coupons tested by face and root bends shall be limited to weld deposit made by one welder with one or two processes or two welders with one process each.Weld deposit by each welder and each process shall be present on the convex surface of the appropriate bent specimen."
My Question: On a face bend specimen with GTAW+SMAW process,how can I see the root pass(GTAW) on the convex surface of specimen..Or on a root bend specimen with GTAW+SMAW,how can I see the the filling passes and cover pass(SMAW) on the convex surface of the specimen??

Can you please clarify where I am doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DekDee,
Thank you but what I'm asking is different..Let me repeat my question..In a butt weld GTAW+SMAW process,(Root pass with GTAW,filling and cover passes with SMAW) how can I see root pass(GTAW) on the convex surface of a face bend test specimen or how can I see filling and cover pass (SMAW) on the convex surface of a root bend test specimen?

I hope I was able get across where I am confused..

cnkn,

You are not doing anything wrong. The key word in note 2 is "appropriate" bend specimen.

You would only judge the GTAW on the convex surface of the root bend specimen, and the SMAW on the convex surface of the face bend specimen, and the welder will have met the required tests. Or, if two welders, the GTAW portion deposited by the first welder and the SMAW portion deposited by the second welder, and the welders will have met the required tests.

Keep in mind that these are minimum requirements, and if there is any reason to question the welder(s) ability, more root and face bend specimens may be taken.

Thank you DVWE!,

I didn't pay much attantion to the word "appropriate".Now I got it.
Now I also understand why for 19mm and over thicknesses only side bend test has to be carried out according to Table QW-452.1(a).Because Table QW-452.(b) Note-3 says: "Thicknes of test coupon of 19mm or over shall be used for qualifying a combination of three or more welders each of whom may use the same or a different welding process"
The only way to see 3 welders' deposit on a convex surface is side bend test.
Thank you very much again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back