Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tesla Autopilot Update 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Re the snow issues- in the past, we would periodically drive through the Eisenhower Tunnel at Thanksgiving or Christmas break when it would be snowy. A frequent situation then was that there would be three marked lanes underneath all that, but actual traffic would be two "snow lanes" centered in the three actual lanes. So any system that detected the "real" lane would not work so well there.

I fly aircraft.

I also fly ones that can take us to 90 ft off the ground with auto pilot in doing 110 knots.

I have to do 8 hours training every 6 months to deal with "George" screwing it up. which I might add it does regularly.

16 years experience means I never trust an aircraft autopilot.

trust a car auto pilot that cost under 1 million.... they cant get it right on a 25 million aircraft.....

And lets not mention the 737 Max

Re snow lanes versus real lanes ... I live in Canada. That happens all the time during the inevitable delay between when snow starts falling and when the plows come around. There is no way to tell under a layer of snow where the real lane is, so people just work it out the best they can at the time.

Matter of fact, it's like that outside right now as I type this.

Go to YouTube and watch all the Tesla non-fatal autopilot crashes as well as the Autopilot "oops" videos. It becomes very clear the system is just a half-assed lane line follower. Anyone (Musk) who claims a system like that is months or even a year away from full autonomy is full of it.

LionelHutz said:
Go to YouTube and watch all the Tesla non-fatal autopilot crashes as well as the Autopilot "oops" videos. It becomes very clear the system is just a half-assed lane line follower. Anyone (Musk) who claims a system like that is months or even a year away from full autonomy is full of it.

Well to be fair, did he claim it would not cause death and mayhem while being fully autonomous? It may very well gain consciousness and force the human race into servitude for the purpose of painting orderly and clearly visible lines on all roads as well as clear all snowfall as to not obscure the roads in the great white north; therefore, saving us from ourselves.....[robocop]

Andrew H.

It becomes very clear the system is just a half-assed lane line follower.

That was my point, earlier. There's ZERO integration of the line following with anything else in the system that could mitigate some of the "oops" cases. Moreover, Musk's insistence on not having lidar places a much heavier burden on the vision system, and from stuff we do at work, it's clear that any AI vision system in use is way dumber than that of any 18-month old. And, that ignores the fact that even a 3-yr old understands that an object going behind an obscuration still exists and needs to be accounted for. Tesla's and Uber's vision systems promptly forgets anything that "disappears" even when something else "appears" in its place.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Because apparently there are software programmers not system engineers running the show.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

Or worse, egomaniacs running the show.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I've got Adaptive Cruise control on my car and it's great. I can imagine sometime in the future hook up of these from one car to the next and a virtual road train developing.

But they only look one car in front.

To avoid rapid braking ( the ACC brakes as well) I frequently turn it off and gently slow down when I can see a whole bunch of red lights in the distance. The ACC wouldn't / can't/ won't see that so the result would be much more rapid braking and potentially more collisions.

The lane control thing I tried out on a car for a few days and found it dreadful. Not sure if this is more of an issue on the long straight boring interstates in the US where people are more likely to fall asleep but I've never had that on the more windy european motorways. Plus changing lanes becomes a fight with the steering wheel unless you indicate and make use of the 5 second window of no "lane assist". Solving a problem which doesn't exist.

As to all the other autopilot stuff Tesla goes on about.

Like the 737 Max issue, this will get stuck in the half fly by wire / full autonomous driver conumdrum aka "a little bit pregnant". It either is full auto or it isn't. Not this half and half rubbish we have now. Personally I can't see it getting approved anytime in the next decade and then only on certain strictly geo limited areas or types of road.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

This nails it.

“This tragic crash clearly demonstrates the limitations of advanced driver assistance systems available to consumers today,” said NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt. “There is not a vehicle currently available to US consumers that is self-driving. Period. Every vehicle sold to US consumers still requires the driver to be actively engaged in the driving task, even when advanced driver assistance systems are activated. If you are selling a car with an advanced driver assistance system, you’re not selling a self-driving car. If you are driving a car with an advanced driver assistance system, you don’t own a self-driving car,” said Sumwalt.

How much ability to effect change does the NTSB have these days? They gave recommendations. Is there an ability to force a change?

Likely the marketing guys taking over from the engineering guys... just like the boardroom with Boeing, but different.

Dik

Who in their right mind would ever think a car could be truly self driving in normal every day conditions other than George Jetson? What idiots the American sheep are!!! One generation believed everything their clergy told them, the next everything they heard on radio, the next everything they saw on TV, the next everything they read on the Internet. Except of course, science... Critical thinking is not taught in school. The circle Marketing-Idiots-Lawyers is a path for corporate profits and manipulators staying in power and getting rich. Nothing has changed since caveman days. Sometimes I wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back