Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Texas’ Big Freeze: The 2021 Power Crisis and the Lessons Learned One Year Later 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 60hz 110v ones might be but it hasn't been that way with 50hz 230v/400v for some time.

As it's such a local market and not international there is maybe no pressure to do it.

You are actually hammered with some stuff being 60 hz/110v. Nothing is developed for your currents and it's almost a by the way it sort of works but doesn't really.

Note that most residential A/C units, which are part of a centralized heating & cooling system in the US, are run on 230 volts. Now the circulating fan which moves the air throughout the house might be running on 110, but the compressor is almost always 230 volts.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Still can't handle 230v 50 hz. The electronics won't be fussy over Freq but the compressor motors all will be.

All the green stuff developed over the last 10 years is 16amp max 50hz 230. And the big stuff is 400v 3 phase 3 ph 16 amp 11 kw

Most residential units are sealed compressors, located within the high pressure tank. And are on-off type.
Granted that window units are 110VAC, but whole house units are 230VAC.
The issue is, it is very difficult, and expensive to have a device that most AC contractors don't specify (whole house units). The will only sell you what they want to sell (from there inventory, or sales office).

Likely that is why heat pumps are so costly, and hard to find service.
It was the same issue with gas AC units in the past. Yes they made gas AC compressors.

Probably why gas dryers are not that common. But the people that have them are happy.

think ours are more heating than cooling but VDF works well.

Still if everyone turns it down at the same time it will trigger everything off for the 20 mins required to fire up a quick reaction power source.

Speaking of heat pumps...

New York’s Public Housing May Be On The Verge Of A Climate Breakthrough

In the 1990s, the nation’s largest public housing authority helped popularize energy-efficient refrigerators. Now it’s ready to do the same for heat pumps.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I have just started looking for one for the barn.

I am tending towards inverter multisplit. They are claiming 30% energy reduction compared to the stop start AC driven compressors. Just have to find a 3 phase version.

Well they are mostly single phase 30 amp supplies for the 4-5 fancoil units.

My mains supply is a 22kw 32 amp 3 phase so a 30amp load on one phase will give potential of the main fuse will blow when the other 3 phase stuff is running.

I am sure there will be one I haven't put to much effort in yet. I will go and see the Daikin dealer and they will more than likely have one just hidden away in the industrial section.

It's interesting watching people swoon about heat pumps when every single one of them is full of ozone depleting halocarbons.

Allistair, if you have 3 phase you have single phase. Just grab two poles.

Single phase is just 1 pole here. It's star supply 230v to neutral.

The main breaker will trip if a single phase goes over 32 amps.

The house heat pump is 3 phase and pulls 8 amps 400v the induction hob is also 3 phase pulls 6 amps.

It is possible to delta wire but it will be very none standard and will cause other issues.

I might get away with a single 16 amp unit. We shall see.

Don't want to go air water if I can help it. If I do that it's easy.

On a side note the 400v 3 ph ground heat to water is incredible cop 4.5 on 35 Deg feed temp.

Setup up right they work great unfortunately installers don't do the thermo on them. And there is miss matches on input and output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back