Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Texas power issues. Wind farms getting iced up (Part II)... 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you pay a fixed annual cost for the main fuse.
You can't choose to have how small as you wont it is 3 phase 10A (only apartments), 16 A, 32 A or 64 A.
Then it's a fixed cost for every kW consumed/used.
I guess that it is the same if you provide power to the grid, not shore they are the same though.
Here it's not unusual that solarpanels come with back up batteri packages, usually you try to have so much backup power so you can save enough over normal sunny say so it will last you over the nigh until next day.
Of course there will be times when you will need to buy and times when you can sell.
But since the maintains of the grid are more or less the same regardless of if you use it or not, I guess the rate for transmission will rice.
But on the other hand the more solarcells people install the less need for upgrading the lokal transmission network for higher power consumption, if everyone want's to have preheated pools and air-condition everywhere.
And here at least most lokal transmission grids are buried so they claim the maintains cost will be lower.

The big consumers of power from the large power providers I think will be produktion companies and factories.

The big problem here right now is that the large main grid is under dimensioned in some places so we have a lot of power but we can't always get it to where we want it to be.

That is why many of the new and large factories and facility's built right now, is built in the north of Sweden because that's where the power is.
Short distances needed for new power grids and the electricity is cheaper here too.
The risk is less for power losses and such.

Best Regards A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Larger customers have a demand meter. Maybe they should do that for small customers. A demand sets a one year demand rate.

Well in one way we already have, my former power provider at first hade expected yearly consumption.
Now since they read the meter electronically every month if not every second they know quite well how my consumption looks.
I mean for a apartment it dose not vary that much.
If you have your heating from electricity they know that too, so when the cold strikes they know to expect higher outtakes.

BR A

Albert Einstein

I think they are all getting scared now that they don't actually know the true consumption that's going on.

Half of it will be missed profits the other off what if a volcano goes off or other climate effect and drops the wind or solar by 5-10%

The bill on a small customer should contain three parts, the meter read (a fixed part), a consumption (fuel), and a demand (capacity of the grid).

The old meters only metered consumption, and the demand was calculated from that. Larger customers had a consumption, and demand reading ( the meters cost more like that).

Now we don't have a meter reader (a person) the meter read charge is electronic, and includes fixed cost of some of the distribution system including the drop to your home. It also pays for some of the transformer losses on the transformer near your home.
The demand charge is to pay for the part of the transmission system you use, and should (in my thinking) be charged which ever the direction of the power flows.

The consumption change still pays for fuel, purchased electric from others, or something simular.

Added in maybe other charges that are mandated, like city, county, and other taxes and fees.

When the grid buys power, they do that at the avoidence cost of generation rate. The grids do not pay retail, so that difference should be enough to pay for generation and wires during the times when the solar generators do take, especially since when they do, they are supposedly paying for that anyway.

Statements above are the result of works performed solely by my AI providers.
I take no responsibility for any damages or injuries of any kind that may result.

To be honest I have a 32 amp supply and I get charged 1.60 euro a month for that.

I don't need that much but it would cost 10 years of savings to get it reduced to the next size down.

The biggest saving I get is not paying the taxes that I do when I pull from grid. I need to produce 3 times as much as I used to cover all the other charges.

When power is bought back onto the grid, it sometimes is very close to retail depending on the arrangements by the utility for net metering. I came across this when I inquired a DER group how any of their projects make any financial sense. They then went onto to explain that they were not getting paid $30 MWH at which the node usually closes out but at $100 MWH, which is what the customer pays. I think this will be more the norm with the mandates FERC put into place with Order 2222 that force utilities to accommodate DER resources.

They would really benefit from another power solution for there air-conditioning.

Wouldn't mind some air conditioning myself sometimes.
Right now the only option is keeping all windows, blinds and curtains closed and sealed, and then open all the doors and windows for a couple of hours in the evening so that there is wind drafts throughout the apartment, cooling it down.

There was a reportage about solar panels yesterday on TV.
HSB is Sweden's largest housing cooperative, they have started to build solar parks by selling shares to those who rent apartments in their housing stock.
I guess they get reduced electricity costs exactly how it is financially structured, I do not know.
At the same time, they are trying to increase biodiversity by sowing natural flowers and grass between the solar panels.
In areas with large areas of agricultural land, there is little biodiversity.
Only 1% of our energy production is solar right now.

/A

Albert Einstein

Yea they tried the solar farms here, and selling shares. The last one could not seem to sell all the shares, and went bankrupt.

No as a utility we did not buy it. I might have expected us to, but we did not.

Maybe the difference here is, that it is Sweden's larges housing cooperative and it is in line with Sweden's CO2 goals so every part of society and the government agencies are onboard, it might make it easier.

image_byhtnu.png

/A

Albert Einstein

Alistair_Heaton (Mechanical) 15 Jun 21 06:43 said:
seems one of the nukes went offline and total 9000 MW offline

article blocked (pay to view)

which plant Commanche or STP

I found another article that stated nearly 9,000 MWs of fossil fuel plants were off line.

I thought shutting down fossil fuel plants was desired?

Power Reactor Status Report for June 15, 2021
[tt]
Plant / % Power
Comanche Peak 1 / 100
Comanche Peak 2 / 0
South Texas 1 / 100
South Texas 2 / 100[/tt]

That would only account for around 1,300MW of the 11,000MW offline.

If they are having a difficult time meeting demand before summer has even officially began, then... I'm thinking that it's going to be a long summer!

At least when we were without power in the winter, we could bundle up, get under the covers, huddle together.
If we lose power for several days in the dead of summer, there will be no escaping the heat/humidity.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

The only thing I can see is Peak 2 scrammed due sensors issue

And the rest of the shortfall is due to hydrocarbon offline be it scheduled or un planned.

The nuke is passed the window for a quick restart. Although if its very near refuel they might have a bit of time yet before they have to alter the chemistry and inject.

kinda reminds me of the california grid crisis of 2000-2001.At that time , operators would call each other up and exchange data on when they may have a "forced outage" , so as to jack up rates. Since then, the laws were revised to preclude such communications for those plants on the national grid, but Texas being its own grid might not be liable to follow those laws.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

As an employee at a Texas generating plant, we are strictly warned not to discuss (outside the plant) when the plant is offline/online, scheduled to go off-line/on-line, vulnerable to going off-line. etc. It's like insider stock information. That information is shared only through formal channels so everyone in the public (including people wheeling and dealing in the power market) has equal access to it. If we see that information is already publicly available then we can discuss it. I don't know what the laws and criminal penalties are but the company doesn't take it lightly.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

The first line of Nordstream 2 was completed last month they expect the second one to be finished in a matter of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back