Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

textbook for 2005 AISC Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Structural
Nov 8, 2002
US
Is anyone aware of a good textbook for steel that adresses the 2005 AISC Spec?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I hear somewhere that Salmon & Johnson are working on updating their book to the combined spec. But don't hold me to that.

Salmon and Johnson's 5th edition will address it but will not be out for a while yet. I also wouldn't trust whatever date is being given right now as it was originally scheduled for release in April of 2007 (yes, 2007), but was delayed about 8 times.
Louis Geschwindner has one (Unified Design of Steel Structures). It is pretty good, but also pretty basic. It doesn't really get into advanced topics, but is a good book nonetheless.

I'm mostly interested in the direct analysis method and the calculation of required strength per Chapter C2.

That is addressed briefly in Geschwindner's book, but I am looking for a seriously in-depth discussion on it (probably like you)...... something I would expect in the S&J book. I am also eagerly awaiting the AISC Design Guide on stability that I've heard people here mention should be out soon. Presumably this would address the Direct Design Method.

I taught steel at the University in my area this last fall and we used the Segui book which was OK. I also had the Gerschwinder book (which was also so so)and the McCormac book (I really liked this would and will use it if I teach the class again next fall).

Hope this info helps.

akastud

I just got done with my Steels 2 course. We used Geschwinder's text, sparingly at best, the professor tended to teach from his own notes. For Steels 1, which I took the first semester the 13th ed came out we didnt even use a text. Although now steels 1 is using the segui text. Personally I would wait for this new salmon and johnson book to come out, or else I would just buy the old version and use that one, which is allegedly better than any of the new texts despite being out of date.

I was taught using the Segui and it is pretty decent. It doesn't really get into advanced topics. However, it does offer clear and concise descriptions of design steps.

If you are interested in the direct analysis method, you can view a quick "Boxed Lunch" seminar on the subject for free on the AISC website at this link
Second order analysis by amplified first-order analysis, is presented in both Segui and McCormac, however I dont believe either book covers the DAM. I would consider both books to be more towards the basic side, especially in comparison to Salmon & Johnson. However I feel that the McCormac book is better, and covered more than the Segui book. This can be ascertained by looking at the table of contents for both books. Additionally, McCormac brings to the table some additional practical insights that I felt were lacking in the Segui book. Furthermore I am of the opinion that the McCormac book is more accesible than the Segui book, however they are both good books.

bjb

it is more towards the bsic side, but comes much further into the more detailed stuff than the others (like the penguin indicates). I have found the Segui book almost useless in my practice because all of the stuff in it is essentially something those of us who have been practicing know (or can find quickly in the code itself). I have looked several things up in the McCormac book for my practice work.

akastud

I had the Segui book in my undergraduate steel class. It is the only structural book I sold back. I found it completely worthless. I would recommend Salmon and Johnson hands down over the Segui book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back