Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The last "John Baker" show 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

joycejo

Aerospace
Sep 22, 2006
US
On Nov. 12th at the North East Regional User Group meeting. John Baker gave what will most likely be his last public presentation at a PLM World activity. Below are the links to see this.

Enjoy

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope that the powers-that-be will not object, but since this thread was already here and since it was inspired by events soon to transpire, I thought it would 'borrow' it for a little fun.

I've been cleaning out my office and going through about 27 years of stuff (my first 8 years with the company are stashed away in some boxes in my garage at home but I won't get to them until well after I retire) and thought that I might share some of the more interesting things that I've been sorting through.

Most of you are aware that I travel a lot (I've got over 3.6 million miles with American Airlines alone), attending conferences, visiting customers, speaking at user group meetings and the such. Anyway, here's my collection of airline boarding passes:

IMG_0391_yb6y0n.jpg

Of course, if you're going to traveling that much, you must be staying in hotels. Well here's a stack of hotel card keys (the stack probably doesn't cover all of the last 27 years because I don't think cards keys have been around that long):

IMG_0386_yhzovv.jpg

And where was it that I was going on these trips? As I stated earlier, mostly conferences, trade fairs, users groups, etc, and of course at events like this, you get badges and name tags:

IMG_0388_khmc2i.jpg

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this bit of nostalgia. I know I did, even though it's been a bit hard to throw away stuff like this that in many ways are more representative of what I've been doing these last 35+ years, that is interacting with people in business settings all over the world yet at the some time forming friendships which have lasted decades in some cases, and recently many new ones as I made this last year's tour of regional users meetings.

P.S. I may have some other stuff to share before my last day on the job, which is two weeks from today.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Here's another way to represent 35 years with the company, or as you can see, many companies, but in the end it has been the same basic core organization, at least from where I've been sitting:

IMG_0392_lbkuqk.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Well I'm making progress on cleaning out my office and thought I'd post a few more tidbits. For example, this map pin-points all the places in North America that I've visited over the past 35+ year while on company business:

IMG_0394_rf2yuh.jpg

At home I've got a map of the world that shows all the places that I've traveled which also includes pins for the 33 countries that I've visited while on company business (like I said, I've flown over 3.6 million miles with American Airlines alone).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Then there's my 'white board' which as you can see has many uses.

IMG_0393_lj1ns7.jpg

And here's some items to inspire you:

Lazlo_p3otgx.png

Kettering_f6lw0e.png

Baker_eack2x.jpg

Flowchart_mlajau.png

Anyway, enjoy.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John,
regarding the North American map above,
I guess (?) that I can read your needles as sort of equivalent to manufacturing industry. Isn't it interesting from a geographical perspective how sparse the needles actually are in the center of the US. there are a quite a number of states completely without needles, which i would interpret as "there is no such industry that would use NX here" ( those areas could also be "hostile territory", dominated by a competitor. hm).

Thanks for all help over the years!
If i know you right(?), you will stop by these forums also after the retirement ?! :)

Regards,
Tomas

Well there are customers out there but I've never had a need to visit any of them although it is true that they are not large operations and when you're up in areas like Wyoming and Montana there really aren't a lot of manufacturing sort of industries, but there's some and I'm sure that we've got a share of them.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Well it has finally come, my last day at work. And I know it's true because when I woke this morning and looked at my iPhone, there it was, a calendar notice that I had set nearly a year ago: "My last day at work!"

So this might well be my last post here, at least as a Siemens employee (I guess I'll have to change my signature), unless of course someone posts a question or problem that I can help them with before I leave (YES, I intend to put in a full day's work before I'm forced to turn in my keys, badge, credit cards and my laptop).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Congratulations on your retirement...you've earned it..!

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Congratulations, John! Thanks for your time and contributions - you've helped all of us become better at what we do. Siemens has its work cut out filling your shoes.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Hello from the other side, I am one of those members that rarely make or answer a post,
nonetheless have read almost every post and watched every NX related video you have made available here.
Your teachings are helping me put bread on my table… like literally....
I pray God will bless you with long lasting good health for many years to come.
Thank you very much John for every hour you have dedicated preparing material to educate individuals like me
that you have never met in person.
Happy retirement!!!
Mario Castro.
NX 8.5

Hi John,
Wish you a nice and relaxing time after retirement(which has already begun).By the time i got your "last day at work post" on internal forum it was too late for me.
With Best Regards and Respect
Kapil

John,

I feel like I have been on UG so long, I should retire with you. LOL
I do with you and yours a happy, satisfying retirement!
You have helped me through the years and made me look "good" when I didn't know how to do UG.

God bless,

Congratulations John, may you and your wife have a long and happy retirement together. Visiting the children and, of course, the grandchildren will be fun and enjoyable.
I first met you over 30 years ago in Cypress when I came in for a demo of UGII. Over the years we have shared stories and helped each other grow and develop our knowledge of the software.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Wow, EX-Product 'Evangelist'

First day without a boss (at the office that is [wink])
I hope you have a good, healthy, happy retirement John. Thanks again for all you did for us[bdaycandle].

Older budweiser
NX8.5 & NX9.0 64bit, hp z820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back