Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Theory vs FE - Internal Energy of Solid Cylinder in Pure Axial Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared55848

Aerospace
Oct 13, 2011
CA
Hi there,

I am having a bit of a conundrum here with Abaqus.

As I understand it, when doing internal energy calculations, the energy of the FE solution should go higher as the number of elements in some geometry increases. As would be expected this continues to a point. Also, the energy as calculated using FE should be in theory lower than that calculated using analytical expressions for the same geometry, as we have discretized the domain and the stiffness of individual elements is higher than that of a solid continuum.

I am trying to find the internal energy stored in a solid cylinder loaded in axial compression. I have an analytical expression for this energy, but the analytical expression is calculating a LOWER energy than what I am finding using Abaqus (I would think it should be the opposite). The loading condition is purely axial.

I have double and triple checked that the material properties and geometry are the same between the FE simulation and the analytical calculations.

Do I have the comparison between the theory and FE simulations right? Or am I completely missing something here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"..when doing internal energy calculations, the energy of the FE solution should go higher as the number of elements in some geometry increases."

If the FE model is set-up correctly, not at all! Internal energy comes from the deformation (i.e., change in the kinematic state) of the domain (in a structural analysis). Indeed, beyond a certain number of elements, the energy must converge (unless singularities are present).

" energy as calculated using FE should be in theory lower than that calculated using analytical expressions for the same geometry, as we have discretized the domain and the stiffness of individual elements is higher than that of a solid continuum."

It depends on the element formulation.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back