Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermocouple Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKellyNPFD

Electrical
Jun 11, 2004
I've decided to make my own digital thermometer as a side project. I want to use a type K thermocouple as the sensing element. I'm using a PIC16F777 micro with an LCD output. I've got code (using picbasic pro) that will display the ADC to the LCD. I'm looking for information that will help me linearize the Thermocouple. I'm assuming it will be a mix of ciruitry and code. If anyone has any app notes, or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think i'm going to use an NTC thermistor to measure the iso thermal block. Or probably an easier method would be to use a digital temperature sensor since it is linear and i can wire it directly to the uProcessor

You've had two posts now about temp sensors... what is this for?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I've been a controls engineer for about 6 years now using PLC's like Allen Bradley and Semens to control temperature within a specific environment. In my effort to understand the internal workings better (and to become more fluent with my electronics) I’ve decided to build a simple digital thermometer using various methods.

Thanks Madcow, I'll start with the app note you provided.

What range of temperature do you want to measure? Solid state sensors are great, but operate over a range typical of semiconductors, something like -50 to 150 degrees C. If that's sufficient, that's the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back