Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiny errant line segments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxh3

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2010
US
I frequently have features fail because my sketch has a stray tiny line segment hanging around at some intersection. I then have to zoom in, find it, and delete it. I guess something about the way I draw lines is occasionally causing me to accidentally draw a tiny, extra line when endind line segments. Do you have this problem? I like to do a full click to place each end of the line, but I may start trying to begin lines with a down click and end them with a release, even though it doesn't feel very natural. Pics attached in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't really give you any advice but I can say I know other people who have the same issue, for some people it does seem to be a bit unnatural the say SolidWorks sketch clicking works. I know they've changed it around from time to time with the concept of "click-click" or "click-drag".

Perhaps this can be useful:

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Thanks for the link showing proper terms, I guess I'm a click-click guy. It would be nice if they had a threshold setting for the length of drag that will kick solidworks into click-drag mode. I could probably move that higher and eliminate 99% of my frustrations.

SolidWorks 2012 will have in the manual: "must sip martinis and take long breaks to operate software" "hey boss, look what i found!"

Certified SolidWorks Professional

OMG.........lol....I thought I was the only person this happens too. God, this is such a pain in the you know what!!!!Thanks for sharing maxh3! There is a benefit...when an extrusion fails, I know what the problem is.

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell T5500 Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
Xeon CPU 2.53 GHz 6.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

You can collect these pieces by dragging a selection box from left to right. It will pick only the segments completely enclosed in the window.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

I have this issue with my laptop install of SW, and like Anna says, "slow down a bit" helps a lot. When you terminate your line with the second click, just pause bit and then go on.

This used to happen to me a lot, especially on relatively complex sketches with relatively many segments.

What really helped me out is, instead of drawing the WHOLE sketch and then doing the feature.....

I work on small pieces at a time. Then temporarily "close up" the sketch with a line segment, check whether the feature still works.

Yes, it interrupts workflow slightly. But it's a very quick check. If I work on a sketch for say 1/2hr, add 70 lines and then can't figure out why it won't rebuild, very frustrating. Just a couple quick checks during that time has helped me improve overall productivity and reduce frustration. And again only on sketches that are unusually "cluttered"

There is a tool to help find these small lines.
Tools>Sketch Tools>Check Sketch for Feature
I hope this helps.
download.aspx

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back