To manufacture a turbine rotor by a company other than the OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA07

Electrical
Feb 22, 2018
MU
Hi
We have an old turbine rotor which cannot be repaired. We have 2 identical turbo-alternators 45 MW in operation. What are your views of ordering a spare turbine rotor from a company other than the OEM? The old rotor will be sent to this company and they will manufacture a new rotor based on the old rotor.
The reason to do this is cost and delay of delivery.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might spend more money and time if they wind up making a substandard part. If you're lucky, it'll only break, but if you are unlucky, then you may damage the entire turbine and possibly injure your operators.

Unless you are 100% confident that the alternate supplier can duplicate EVERYTHING, EXACTLY, it's a crap shoot, isn't it?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Hi SA07

In addition to what IRstuff has stated are there any design copyright issues you might fall foul of?
If something else goes wrong with the alternator and you call the OEM how will fair if they find out you have a rotor fitted which isn’t theirs?.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Have they done 50 of these over the years?
Do you have a customer list?
Have you contacted the users?
If not then don't do it.
You don't want to be a test subject.
Even old simple turbines are difficult to get right in every detail.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

maybe consider that as an interim (emergency) replacement. Have the vendor guarantee their rework. Start looking for a replacement turbo-alternator now.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Some of the "new guy's" ability to reproduce the old equipment is going to be based on how the original rotor failed - if parts are missing or too badly damaged to reverse engineer, then the replacement isn't going to be correct. The other part is whether you're also sending OEM drawings (which you should have a copy of, for a 45 MW turbine installation): if you are, chances are VERY good that you're violating copyright (assuming the OEM is still in business, which is how I read the reasoning being cost+delivery cycle).

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back