Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TP and FCF basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasabis

Automotive
Dec 7, 2009
US
looking in the asme y14.5 1994 pg 53 i see that all TP callouts must have a basic dimension locating these features. If this is true and i am inspecting the part from the example shown, would I have to include the height at which it was measured to have a 3D TP calculation (XYZ), or am I safe in assuming they are only interested in the 2D (XY)location of the hole, and include the -D- datum only as a restrictor to assure the DoF's are locked in in the same fashion prior to measurement?

I know this is remedial but would still like confirmation.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dingy2,
I also agree with you on not invoking a higher level of control if it is not needed, keep it simple, where ever possible.
For example, use an orientation tolerance if only orientation is required. I have long been a proponet of general profiles and feel that is not too hard to understand, people are resistant to change. The standard is clearly moving in that direction, I believe they are now shown in the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back