Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Legged supported Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancKx

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2008
ES
I'm Designing a small vertical vessel (324mm I.D. and 1150mm T.T.) and i'm having trouble with a 3 legs configuration due to the orientation of nozzles. Can i use a two legs configuration?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FrancKx, I don't think that will be a good design, but maybe you could calculate it correctly and demostrate it will be ok.

Is it possible to use LUGS instead of LEGS? With that design it would be easier to calculate the use of two supports.

That's why i ask, i can use two Lugs, but not two Legs... I know it have been donde before in small vessels (two legs and bigger baseplates with at least two bolts each). But calculations programs like Compress or Advanced Pressure Vessel doesn't allow this configuration.

It´s correct if i calculate the stresses in shell as support lugs, and then the two legs as supporting structures? the repad will be the same dimensions.

You didn't say where you are located but here is vessel design software that you can rent by the hour that has the capability of designing a 2 lug support.

Look at design features and then down to lug supports.

thanks unclesyd, but the design software i use, already has the capability to design and calculate the support as 2 lugs. My question was if i could use two LEGS, anyway i already resolved the issue using four smaller legs that does not interfere with the nozzle.

So....you made a final decision to use four smaller legs instead of two larger legs..???

And you came to this forum to ask that question....is it OK..??

Am I missing something here..??

MJCronin: Yes, i made that decision.

I came to this Forum to ask this question, thats what forums are made for.

I needed to make a quick decision, client did not approved the two legs design, two lugs where not allowed, three legs couldn't be because of the interferences, so four small legs was the option.

Thanks for your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back