Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UCS-85 and Hot Formed Dished Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizza453

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2011
AE
I get quotation from dish head supplier, material is P.No.1 Group No. 2 (SA-516-70).
Plate is normalized. Dish head shall be formed by hot forming in normalization range at approx. 900 degree C. Dish head is seamless.
Now, per UCS-85 simulated heat treatment is required.
Vessel is required to be post weld heat treated at 600C for 130 minutes.
Which of the following heat treatment shall be performed on the test plate to meet UCS-85?

1- Normalization at 900C@time plus 600C@time.
2- Only normalization at 900C@time

Nasir
Welding Engineer
DESCON ENGINEERING LIMITED
PAKISTAN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the plate was normalized at the mill and then normalized during head forming and finally PWHT....i don't think you have to do any additional tests if the material test reports show it was normalized.

but check with you A.I to make sure.

Hi Vesselfab,
I have different opinion here, For P.No.1 Group No. 1 or 2 (as our case is), testing on heat treated specimens is not required if heat treatment during fabrication is only limited to PWHT below the lower transformation temperature. Since in our case, dish head is hot formed in normalization range, so heat treatment is not limited to PWHT. Now, UCS-85(f) does not exempt the requirements of UCS-85(c) that means simulated heat treatment is required.
Now look UCS-85(b) that requires all heat treatment that exceed 480 C to include in simulated heat treatment, heattreatments of UCS-85(d) need not be included.
Now, the question is:
Which of the following heat treatment shall be performed on the test plate to meet UCS-85?

1- Normalization at 900C@time plus PWHT 600C@time.
2- Only normalization at 900C@time

Nasir
Welding Engineer
DESCON ENGINEERING LIMITED
PAKISTAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back