Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UG NX Drafting view convert to un associated curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggor

Aerospace
Jan 16, 2008
US
At my last place of business I used a command to un associate a base view (or convert the view to curves) in order to keep the view from showing as "out of date" as work continued on assemblies and this also sped the generation of the views for my very large assembles as each component didn't have to load to create the drawing view.

I could later re associate the view and update when I wished. I can't remember where this feature is. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try selecting the view of interest, pressing MB3 and selecting the 'Style' option. On the 'General' tab you will find an 'Extract Edges' option, toggle it ON. However, to get the behavior that you want, only update when you want it to, you will also need to make sure that under Preferences -> Drafting -> View that you've toggled ON the 'Delay View Update' option. This means that unless you initiate a Drawing view update, the extracted edges will remain unchanged even it the model has changed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John,
That seems to be how I remember doing this using NX 6 But maybe the wording has changed a bit in NX 7.5 (that I am using).

The options are "None or Associative" Mine was set to "none" by default. So if I set to Associative this will extract the edges and make them static until I initiate an update by toggling back to none? Along with toggling off the delay view update (which also by default is currently set to on for me).

So this leads me to another problem of sorts that I have been battling (and I am hoping this trick will fix at least until I can solve the root of the problem) I have an assembly drawing with many imported step solids from IDEAS and in my drawing I am experiencing many dimensions disappearing from the drawing after I add them save close and then re open at later date. I believe this must be a corrupt file or something that has to do with the imported bodies but I must get released prints to my customer and don't have time to remake the drawing from scratch. Hoping by making the lines static it will solve the issue at least temporarily. Do you think this may fix my dissapearing dimension issue?
Thank you for your help with this

If you avoid any overall Drawing updates it just might work. Anyway, give it a try and see what happens.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back