Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UK Grid problems 9th Aug 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSpark

Electrical
Jul 15, 2010
GB
The BBC is reporting widespread blackouts in London and the SE and I can see that a lot of emergency generation has started up (suggesting low frequency cut in). It'll be interesting to hear what happened and how low the frequency got. This is at least the 4th low frequency event so far this year.

Does anyone know any more details?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't come across tripping of generators on RoCoF in my service and don't think it is appropriate.
RoCoF concept is to save the grid during disturbances by accelerating the disconnection of loads and prevent tripping of conventional generators on under frequency.
Tripping of generators on RoCoF is worsening the grid distress and best avoided.

RRaghunath

Mains failure detection (RoCoF or other principle) works both ways, to disconnect the generator from the grid and importantly for the generator, to disconnect the grid from the generator to avoid mal-synchronisation due to auto reclosing. It is a complex subject.

I am just returning to this because the UK Government has just published a 'final' report:

Link

In regards to large flywheels:
I seem to remember some threads about large scale UPS systems that spun a high inertia flywheel in a partial vacuum. They provided power for long enough for the diesel sets to come online.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back