Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

United Flight from Denver to Hawaii blows engine on takeoff 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Giant 'ring toss'.

I think those 777 engines are the largest out there, at least diameter-wise.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

image_ff0eef8846a7b4d4993c4c443417affd07cfa7b7_iassdt.jpg

Prat and Witney. Actually looks like it did its job pretty well no damage to the aircraft. and the casing intact.

I presume the flames are from burning carbon fibre and the engine oil.

The burning areas are the carbon/epoxy cascades, part of the thrust reverser.

The inlet, fan cowls, most of the thrust reversers all departed. Not good. This is not supposed to happen in a fan blade out event. Though its not clear what part of the engine failed.

I don't think it was a fan blade or compressor cutting loose . Technically all that stuff that's missing can depart and its still classed as a contained failure. But I agree not good.... But could have been much much worse.

They have a colossal bypass so the core is only about the size of that black dome on the front of the fan.

Is that a kevlar type of fabric on the outside of the turbine blades?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

This picture, from The Aviation Herald article that Eufalconimorph referenced, appears to show a missing blade from the primary fan wheel:

united_b772_n772ua_denver_210220_6_oxyfsa.jpg

And here's a cutaway of the Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engine used on the B777-200:

pw4000-112_y56gfq.jpg

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I once saw a video of the test of the titanium ring around the main fan simulating a fan blade failure. The ring visibly moved and hence although it has apparently done its job and contained the fan blade that event may have disturbed the cowling enough to allow air in and rip it off.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Your right John one is missing...

To be honest I would call that a failure but colossal success nothing hit the aircraft.

Although I bet the crew are happy it happened just after departure and not in the middle of a 180 mins ETOPS segment.

I love watching the engine tests. The icing tests are not as spectacular as the fan blade failures but the abuse they can put up with and still produce power is amazing.

An engineering success, I think. Nothing is 100% reliable and this was one of the worst kind of failures for a jet engine and it ended without any injury.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

They pretty much always do come off though. And if they didn't the shear bolts would go and the whole pod would come off due to vortex shedding vibration.

As long as a blade doesn't come out and bang through the hull pretty much every pilot would count it as a success.

Well there is that 'band' of Kevlar that they wrap the fuselage with, inline with the primary fan wheel of the engines. That's why there's always at least one missing window (I hate it when I get stuck in the 'windowless' seat).

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

They do that on turboprops and that's for ice coming off the blades. And its like a shotgun going off when it hits the plane.

And if the compressor disk goes it comes out supersonic and goes straight through the hull. Kevlar or not. I think you actually mean the compressor disk not the Fan.

There was a 737-800 that happened to in 2018 I think.

There is no requirement to contain disk failures.

Well that's what I was told by someone who used to work at Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks John... didn't know, but thought it was.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back