Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uphill and Downhill progression in Pipe line welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepuDivakaran

Mechanical
May 24, 2016
AE
Dear Welding, Pipe line Experts,

Please confirm whether 1104 or B31. 8 mandates downhill welding. We have a job in one S/ D to replace around 70 mtrs of corroded transfer pip lines in different locations. Material is API 5L X 65. As it is only 10 nos of 16" joints 9. 35 wall thickness we are planning and confident to complete the joints with E70S3 filler root and E7018 filling and capping in uphill progression. We have previously qualified WPSfor the same. But as per client it is not possible to do uphill progression in pipe lines. But I believe procedure of downhill is following due to time consideration only not based on the code. Your valuable comments is requested.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neither ASME B31,8 nor API 1104 mandate downhill progression. Downhill progression is done with cellulosic electrodes EXX10/EXX11. Your client is seriously misinformed.

Generally speaking, the contractor is free to do as he pleases provided the WPS is properly qualified. In short, show me what you propose will produce the desired results. It it works, your good to go.

Best regards - Al

In situations like this, where the client (or co-worker) insists that something can or cannot be performed due to code, I challenge them to find the requisite clause in code. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back