Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of WAVE and Teamcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty7

Jul 27, 2004
GB
I spotted on another post that some users had problems with WAVE when running under Teamcenter. What sort of issues are being seen? We have noticed a few times when UG behaves differently running native and under Teamcenter.
An example: I suddenly lost the ability to create UDFs under Teamcenter: no system changes, no upgrades, just stopped working. UGS (on site) flummoxed. Took a point release and it started working again. Happened to several other users, not all at the same time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The real problem I know of with WAVE is that it is nearly impossible to import to Teamcenter files you already have in native UG containing WAVE.

Apart from that, we have found plenty of weird things happening to us since we changed to Teamcenter environment. We could exchange some oddities if you like!!

I would be most interested to hear the issues you have encountered as we are considering purchase of Teamcenter Express. In fact, UGS is beginning an on site survey of our needs tomorrow.

Thanks

I don´t know exactly what Teamcenter Express is. I suppose it might be a "light" version of Teamcenter?.

Anyway, we have been trying to implement Teamcenter for about two years, and is not yet running properly.
It is easy to say, but the most important thing is to know what you really want to get out of Teamcenter and them put the right questions to the UGS people. I wish I could give you a list, but I don´t feel capable. However I can tell you a couple of things we did wrong. That always help.

1. Create a multidisciplinary team from the beginning to study the implementation.Everybody must be involved!!
2. Consider implementing step by step and think that you might not need everything UGS offers from the first day!!
3. Make sure the boss takes it as a priority. At some point you will need to stop doing your job for a while and dedicate to put everything in good "order". She/he might not take it well.
4. Using Teamcenter is not so straight forward as it seems. Make sure you get from the begining a proper training and operation manual. The most important thing is to know what you must never do!!

An example of weird things. Depending on the way you use the "save us" command you could find that Teamcenter doesn't create some atributes properly. You might find you have a component in a revision "C" while in your drawing part list what appears is a revision "A", or a different part name....

Nice, isn`t it?

Sorry to here your having problems with Teamcenter. Our company (Moog Inc)has been using Teamcenter (aka: iMan) since 1997-98. While we've certainly worked thru some issues, I think Teamcenter is great. If we were using UG/NX native and maintaining / managing UG Load Options, paths, Manual Revision rules, release procedures, the problems would be insurmountable. WAVE works fine in Teamcenter. We use it quite abit. WAVE problems are not a product of Teamcenter. For the most part Teamcenter Engineering is basically a vault with rules. WAVE is related to UG/NX and typical cause and affect is related to Users use of it. I'm not saying WAVE is perfect but.. In your post you mentioned attributes not propgating properly after doing a "save as."
That could be Teamcenter related but not necessarily a bug. Teamcenter has as a part of its admin package an area called "The Business Modeler" Thats where you set business rules pertaining to how Teamcenter handles New and Legacy data when certain actions are applied such as doing a Save As. Check with your local UGS rep. You also need to ensure the proper ACL's are in place.
Best Regards,
Jay

Thanks Jay, now I see my post sounded far too negative.

If we got Teamcenter is because we knew we needed some PDM tool if we wanted to be capable of managing all the information. I do think we are better with than without, but is getting far too long to start it out, and we didn't really need all they sold us. Many of the problems, however, I think are "home made", that is why I insisted on getting everybody seriously involved.

About the problems with the atributes it has been reported and now is a PR, which means, I think, it is a bug in the program, but maybe just in our version(V9.0.0.4). We will be updating it soon.

pinetti,

I would highly recommend you upgrade to Tceng v9.1.2.10
There were a number of fixes. Its a very stable version, and the upgrade is simple. Its basically just an xcopy.
It has PLMXML and Multi-site fixes as well. As far as vaulting data, we vault all types of dataset types.
AutoCad. Word, Excel, Cadra, Pcad, Visio, Corel, PDF, Zip.
I think any PDM system has its problem set, but UGS is pretty good about helping you solve problems with Teamcenter.
Jay

I think (and hope) you are right Jay. That's the version we'll be upgrading to in the near future.
UGS people told us the same than you, that many of the problems we have could be easely solved just by doing that!!

See you around in the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back