Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using all the four cores in a quad core cpu in ansys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omidomidi

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2009
US
how can i use the full capacity of my cpu when a model is under run in ansys.i mean for example for a quad core cpu all its four cores be engaged in.normaly without any settings ansys only uses one core of the cpu.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use Workbench, go tools-->solve process and set the number of cores.

In Classic I think you can set this in one of the tabs in the product launcher window.

This is all assuming you have the proper license to run more cores. Typical licenses let you grab two cores max. After that you have to pay for additional cores.

thanks for your help
i understood that in "high performance computing setup" tab of ansys product launcher there is an option "use shared memory-parallel" that if you choose that then you can specify number of cores you want to use.

Exactly.
Under "Use SMP", there is "Number of processors ->". With a standard license, you can type "any number up to 2" :)
If you have the proper license, there is virtually no limit (I seem to remember the solver process scales very well up to 64 processors).
Remember that by "processor", just like Windows, Ansys doesn't do any distinction between physical processors (e.g. 2x Xeon processors on two separate sockets) and virtual processors (i.e. cores), and between virtual processors (cores) and logical processors (if you have HyperThreading enabled, this would "double" the cores you have): in this case, for example with all the newest Intel i7 processors, and if your license limits the number of "processors" you can use, Ansys is far more efficient if you DISABLE Hyper-Threading, thus forcing it to use the cores and not the virtualized ones.
Hope this helps...
Regards

thank you very much for your help
you said ansys will act more efficiently if i disable hyper-threading,but how can i do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back