Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanKFC

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2003
BR
Dear Sir

I intend to buy COMPRESS , or CODECALC or PVELITE.

What is the technical comparison beetween them and what of them are more reliable , best reputation , and registered and approved by intetnational code ASME .

My intention is to do calculation for fabrication for vessels , columns

Ivan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME does not approve software; per ASME the design responsibility continues to lie with the designer (see the Foreword to Section VIII-1).

I suggest contacting each publisher and getting literature and a demonstration copy of the software. After you get familiar with each program ask the publisher for a free 30 day trial of the full software (demo versions may be limited in some way). Compare how fully each program is self-documenting....ie: in most cases they shouldn't just blindly spit out the end result, there should be some trail of calculation to follow. And compare how the programs list references such as Code paragraphs, tables, reference books, etc.

Be sure to check the user's list of customers to see how widely-used the software is and what the caliber of their customers are. Ask people you know at different vessel fabricators and engineering companies about their experiences with different programs.

Compare the technical support provided by each publisher. It's likely that you will regularly have questions about how the software works. How responsive is the support?

I believe that all three softwares are likely reliable; after all, they must meet the accuracy demanded by their customers and required for proper design or else they couldn’t stay in business.

In the end it is likely to be ones personal preference regarding the program interface, output reports, etc.

Mr Tombarsh

Thanks a lot for your precise reply.
I did not know that we can get a full version free for 30 days trial . I will try to get in contact with COMPRESS , CODECAL , PVELITE.

Do you know if there is any institution or authorized inpection or audit companies like LLOYDS , ABS , BUREAU VERITAS that validate the use of softwares for PV . I ask that because one of my clients request validation test of softwares result in order to accept the use of the softwares for design in their projects.

IvanKFC (Mechanical)

I agree with Mr.Tom Barsh. P.E. (Structural), Software Technical Support Engineer, Codeware: "The HOME of COMPRESS".

I have use COMPRESS ASME Pressure Vessel Software at ABS. At present, I am doing the VALIDATED OF COMPRESS for the current assignment PROJECT. Working with the Koren fabricatiors.

Also, I do have a working knowledge of CODECALC and PVELITE.

BUT THE EPC AND OWENR HAVE DID THE TECHNICAL EVELATION BETWEEN CODECALC, PVELITE AND COMPRESS:

THE EPC AND OWNER'S AND VENDOR GOBLE USE COMPRESS: ASME DIV. 1, ASME DIV.2, TEMA/ASME HEAT EXCHANGER UHX HEAT EXCHANGER, FE-NOZZLE, COSTOR, VESSEL DRAFTER FOR ALL WORK GOBLE.

Leonard Thill
Leonard@thill.biz

A little caveat on the use of PV Design software based on personal experiences.

PV design software isn't a panacea for the PV design process, it is only an aid and should only be used by someone well versed in the art/mechanics of PV design. A lot of the traps that were once in the software have been corrected and others things incorporated that preclude an unworkable or bad design, there are still traps in the whole process.

I routinely use COMPRESS ( and CodeCalc ( and IMO they both have their benefits and limitations.

From my experience, CodeCalc is more designed for component analysis and will do several things that COMPRESS will not, for example, calcs for lifting lugs and jackets. Now PVElite is another story, it will incorporate the component analysis into a complete vessel analysis.

COMPRESS is more designed for complete analysis and will do several things CodeCalc will not, for example, a much more in-depth summarization of results and a 3D rendering of the complete vessel.

They are both very beneficial programs, but not every pressure vessel you need to design can be designed "inside the box" so to speak and you will have to either learn how to manipulate the program(s) very well and/or still do some hand calculations.

I am almost sure both will supply you a FREE 30-day full functioning "trial" version to review.

Good luck.

Brian
Pressure Vessels and Autoclave Systems

The above comments/opinions are solely my own and not those of McAbee Construction.

So it does! It didn't before and they aren't on that little icon directory on the right side, so I didn't notice they had been added from the drop down menu above. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks.

Brian
Pressure Vessels and Autoclave Systems

The above comments/opinions are solely my own and not those of McAbee Construction.

Compress is a fancy calculator and will allow you to make mistakes if you are unable to recognize logical design. A designer that does not understand Compress can make costly mistakes, especially on columns that require windload calcualtions. The best program out there for sale, expensive though, is DISASU. User freindly and accurate. Allows minimum input with maximum output. Includes calculations, material take-off and estimator. Will also create a complete general arrangement drawing in AutoCAD.
Check it out a DISASU.com

Hi Men.

Check out Finglow.
You'll not catch me advertising anything, but it is quite good.

As noted by colleagues earlier in this thread, there is no software available that can absolve you of the requirement for personal knowledge.

You still need to know your onions!

Some dim or inexperienced PV designers may fall foul of the Local Loads calculation modules - it will extrapolate beyond the graphs and allow you to decide if in that instance it is a safe assumption for the calculation.

It is very intuitive to operate but is fairly expensive. On the other hand, Ohmtech is "as cheap as chips" but is a pain in the arse to use as you have to build up the whole vessel progressively in the software model instead of just analysing a specific feature.

Have a good look round, all the PV software vendors will give you some form of free introductory use of their software, some 30 days others X number of calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back