Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VORTEX BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

prens11us

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2006
DE
Hello All,

I need to get some sources about the theory of the vortex formation at the tank outlet and vortex breaker design to prevent the vortex.

The tank is a 21 meter height and 92 m diameter crude oil tank.

Outlet pipe is 48".

There are some formulas which is related with froude number. I put a device at the outlet of the tank to decrease the froude number to prevent vortex formation.

Thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was an article in Chemical Engineering, May 9, 1988 pages 108/109 on "Do-it-yourself" Vortex Breakers". It didn't have much theory but had some practical guidelines on pipe sizes and velocities, as well as some simple designs for the vortex breakers.

regards
Harvey

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

I seem to remember seeing some design information in the GPSA Engineering book. Unfortunately I don't have that book any more.
Maybe someone who has that book can chime in.

Regards
StoneCold

What section you you thinking? I can go look it up.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I didn't find anything specific in GPSA on a quick browse, but a couple of thoughts:

If you have Shell contacts, standard drawing 10.010 covers bottom outlet vortex breakers up to 24". This would extrapolate for 48" ND to a 72" circular plate (1.5ND) located 24" (0.5D) above the outlet on 16-20 radial baffle plates.

Also NFPA 20 has a design for side outlet nozzles in the appendix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back