Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water carryover into turbines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinashe8

Electrical
Nov 10, 2011
ZW
hello there, how do you prevent water carryover into turbines(steam turbines)? what kind of electrical system can be installed to prevent wet steam into turbines? thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for carry over (water in the admission steam), I can think of drum level and pressure decay monitoring/protection. measuring throttle pressure & temperture could be used to calculate superheat and provide alarm/protection.
trip turbine on high drum level
throttle CVs on rapid decreasing pressure (TPL)

You'll probably have to go to a mechanical means of water separation if you're using saturated steam to drive the turbine. Proper line trapping and/or a knockout pot before the turbine would be helpful. I'm assuming this is a rather samll turbine vs. a power plant turbine. If not, then you should be supplying superheated steam anyways.

Also, check your boiler moisture separators in the steam drum. Other than the electrical controls on the boiler as byrdj suggested, I don't know of any other means unless you want to spring for an electric superheater but, that's an awful expensive fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back