Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water cooled condenser scale removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

reftec021702

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2007
PA
Dear fellows:

Could someone please advice me on the correct method for de-scaling a water cooled condenser? If it is really done with a solution of phosporic acid, what are the mix proportions? Also, what kind of pump should I use to handle this solution?
Thank you!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Denpends up on the material(s) of construction & the nature of the scale. I've used 50 vol.% on 316 stainless, but you sure wouldn't use that on copper.

In most cases, inhibited hydrochloric acid works well for removing carbonates. If silicates are a problem, add a little hydrofluoric, but beware of the increased danger to humans & material. Usually, best to use commercial descaling products, as already contain the right amount of inhibitor.

There is a product call Virginia Scale Remover. It is a miratic acid or possibly hydrochloric acid I don't quite recall. I have used it on copper tube heat exchangers in a diluted solution, they provide litmus paper to check the ph as a gage as to when the process is done. We had a small submersable pump that we used with garden hoses and a 10 gallon plastic container you circulated until a nuetral ph then add more acid and continue until the solution will not nuetralize.
I would talk to a water treatment contractor/supplier before rushing in. Running the solution too hot can damage/destroy copper tubes. Goodluck

I'm not a real engineer, but I play one on T.V.
A.J. Gest, York Int./JCI

Yes an acid is whats used at least it is where I am at. The only draw back is eventually it will eat away on your condensor tubes,but as long as you have the correct mixture in your water the tubes will last for years. Water analysis on a daily basis is a must. This is usualy done with the help of a computer that can monitor your water 24/7. Also if you do have a computer monitoring system make sure it is calibrated properly. If your still stuck on what to do there are water treatment companies for industrial sites out there.

I hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back