Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WaterCAD questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceseng

Civil/Environmental
Dec 6, 2008
US
I get two questions:

1) I have a project that has totally 10,000 pipes, however, my waterCAD can only handle 5000 pipes, how can I do? can I cut the projects into two projects?

2?my waterCAD version 8V XM, can I open a .wcd file which is generated by old version of waterCAD?

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In answer to 1) yes, you break your model into two (or more) models with <5,000 pipes. I'm sure it's not a trivial exercise, though. Can't answer 2) as I've not used WaterCAD since Bentley bought 'em.

You may be able to set up seperate senerios where 1/2 of your model can be "shut off" or not active. I don't think Water CAD counts inactive pipes and nodes. To open the water cad .wcd, under file menu, find import water CAD database. try that.

I am using EPANET 2 and all calibrations are done by it. My question is:
- How can I Import that calibrated file as .INP file in WaterCAD 7.0 ? I did that translation between EPANET and WaterCAD but I can not see any Junction, Reservoir or Tank in workspace. But, fact is that these objects are imported. Thanks...

Marko Ristanovic, Civil Engineer

I have had a similar problem using old water cad files too. In my case, I had to verify element sybology colors and verify colors in "options" menu (fore ground & back ground colors) also.

You can contact Bentley to get an "upgraded" version of WaterCAD to allow you to use more components in your model. I would be cautious trying to break the system into two 5000 component systems, unless you have a very definitive break point where the output from one model could be used as the input to the other model.

You can also "skeletonize" your system or /also use EPANet which is free and does NOT impose artificial limits on the number of pipes and nodes.

Hello to everyone,
If i connect pipe to the tank... where is really that connection point? Is that top of the tank, bottom...?
That is critical point if I want to simulate inflow or outflow from the tank!
Thanks,
Marko Ristanovic, Civil Engineer

Sorry for my previously short post,

shirsch makes a good point.

I will typically break a large pipe model into a single pressure zone. To do this you should have real operational data for the pressure zone breaks ie.. PRV's or Boosters. Also, you should have recent flow test data at several points through out the model for calibration. It is assumed you would have all consumtion data, tank dimensions, inflows, pipe sizes/matl and elevations.

Upgrading your license can be pricey from 5000 to 10000 pipes. Not sure what size your budget is but, RWF7437 is also correct.

Sometimes I use only 4" and larger up or only 6" and larger pipe sizes to keep model pipe count down. Depends on specific modeling needs though.

Water CAD V8 may include a copy of Bentley's skeletonizing software which is called Skelabrator... I'm assuming you have the SELECT maintenance also. Two options; 1-log into Bentley's web site and download if it's available to you or 2-Call Bentley and have their sales repget in touch with you. You can probably get a trial to try it out and see if it meets your needs. I have been working with the Rep in my area for a year or so now with different products and they have demo'ed and gave me 30 day trials of any software or upgrades I've been interested in. Point is, Skelebrator is cheaper by a long shot if it's an option that could work for you. Either way you go I caution you to save a seperate copy of your model before your skeletonize. Believe me, you'll be happy you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back