Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Dissimilar..

Status
Not open for further replies.

aws2004

Nuclear
Oct 20, 2011
KW
Dear all,

Please give me a suggestion for welding of dissimilar materials Sa 335 Gr P 91( P-No 15 E Group 1) and A 106 Gr B (P-No 1).

What is the correct material to perform welding joint about GTAW (ER) / SMAW (E)?

Thank you very you much in advance.

Best regards.

JM@

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

this was answered my metengr the first time you asked the same question.

see the little boxes with numbers....pick page 2

here is his answer

""This combination of dissimilar material needs a transition piece of P22 in between the carbon steel (P-No 1) and Grade 91 (P-No 15 E Group 1). I am assuming the maximum service temperature will be governed by the carbon steel pipe material.

I would recommend welding the A 106 to A 335 Grade P22 transition piece and weld using the GTAW root with SMAW fill ER80S B2/E8018 B2. Once this is completed and PWHT, if required, I would weld the SA 335 Grade P22 piece with a 5% Cr filler metal to the Grade 91 pipe material.""

Dear gentlemen,
excuse me I be persistent, and it is a very complicated matter, when we are speaking of dissimilar materials. Please I would like to receive more technical answers about dissimilar materials.
because I'm working 35 years about welding, but sometimes I like to use the forums to know your opinion at a global level.
I hope that you understand the my persistence..

Thanking very you much in advance.

Kindest regards.

Julio Magalhães

The chief problem with welding P91 to carbon steel is the adverse effect of the mandatory high PWHT temperature for the P91 on the mechanical properties of the carbon steel.

You might want to hop over to forum292 and do a search (grey button on top of page next to the green forum one) on dissimilar metals or P-91.

However, metengr gave some good advise.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

What Vesselfab (& Metengr)have proposed is pretty much standard. We used to use T91 in our PB Reheater sections and that was pretty much how we would transition out and never had any issues...we would use ER90 & E9018 on the a106 to P22 material but that was a shop preference. Cant recall specifically the rod we used between T91 and P22 but it was similar to what was proposed and easy to find with an internet search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back