Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What else could you do? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechmama

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2007
US
Just for fun, what else could/would you do if you left your engineering job? Or if your engineering job disappeared?

Of course there are the obvious alternative choices like project management, engineering management, technical writing,"consulting", etc., but what else would you like to try?

I know one guy who started a home insepction business, and our former marketing department manager was a registered PE. Then there is the software "engineer" I know who was a waiter after a layoff.

I think in another life, I would like to do something in education, maybe high school administration or a post-secondary training school. I see so many people making stupid choices, and I guess I sometimes feel inspired to help them. . .then I remember that I chose engineering to avoid all those people. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easy

Manager of Ipswich Town Football Club (at which point I'm pretty sure the Premiership and FA Cup double would be a given, not interested in European Competitions, they're just an unnecessary distraction)...........

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

LOL, if my engineering job disappeared I would do one of two things. Be a high school calculus teacher (maybe physics or even try to get some basic engineering courses in high school for those interested - like statics)

OR............................

Be a pro pool player.

But, I would venture to say that an engineering education and background puts one in a position to be able to handle almost any position. Engineering requires thinking through problems like few other professions, and that trait will serve you well no matter what profession you decide to earn a living in.

Closer for the Cleveland Indians. Come to think of it, the Tribe needs a closer. Might be time to get the ol' arm back in shape...

In all seriousness, I'd love to be able to teach baseball for a living (or for a hobby if income was of no concern).

Dealing with contractors, clients & other consultants.....so many different and strange personalities, makes me think a career in psychology might not be all that different from what I'm doing now.

giggolo

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

On a second thought, probably some sort of environmental consultant for the government. To see if some of the stupidity could be avoided

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Maybe lawyer, because I like to argue
Maybe doctor, since that's a problem solving kind of job
Maybe software, to write the programs that I really needed to do my old job
Maybe daytrading, but not sure if I have the nerves for it

TTFN

FAQ731-376

The funny thing is I have asked this question to many engineers and the most common answer that I have gotten is professional cook.

For me though I would like to work for a large venture capital firm or the like. I think it would be interesting to see all of the ideas people come up with for new businesses. Who knows, maybe one day.

SW 2007 SP 5.0

take out all of your retirement $$ and enter the world poker series and become a poker pro. (that is almost as bad as EIT's pro pool player idea) :)

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

take out all of your retirement $$ and enter the world poker series and become a poker pro...

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

COEngineeer,

I take it this is all after you are retired from being an engineer? :)

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back