Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What else could you do? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechmama

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2007
US
Just for fun, what else could/would you do if you left your engineering job? Or if your engineering job disappeared?

Of course there are the obvious alternative choices like project management, engineering management, technical writing,"consulting", etc., but what else would you like to try?

I know one guy who started a home insepction business, and our former marketing department manager was a registered PE. Then there is the software "engineer" I know who was a waiter after a layoff.

I think in another life, I would like to do something in education, maybe high school administration or a post-secondary training school. I see so many people making stupid choices, and I guess I sometimes feel inspired to help them. . .then I remember that I chose engineering to avoid all those people. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FutureAmerican.. I think you should be a TV host or TV show judge. For some reason, they really dig british accent. LOL. Go check all of those reality TV competitions.. they all have british host or judge!

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

In no particular order as I have such a wide range of interests, National Park Ranger, Photographer, Archaeologist, Travel Writer, Bar/Club Owner, Astronomer, Racing Team Manager, Fortune 500 board member (that one might be a first choice).

Regards,

On second thought, I would be a senior procurement officer.
Have the buyers under me do the contracts (work) while I fly around business or 1st class to the different suppliers and enjoy the free lobster dinners and drinks.
And stay at the 5 star hotels.

COEngineeer

I heard that if you are a structural guy going back to an architectural school, your knowledge of structural engineering will hinder your creativity toward architectural design.

I think that either you are creative, or you are not.

If you are creative and you have a solid background in structural analysis, you have the ability to recognize crazy shapes that are structurally strong, and perhaps, even easy to fabricate.

JHG

Sportscaster - that was my original dream job as a kid listening to baseball games at night instead of going to sleep. I settled for metallurgist though...

My mother always wanted me to be a secretary. But, I've now been around long enough to know that I am NOT qualified for that job.

So if my government job went away (very, very unlikely), I'd just be ...

RETIRED!

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Librarian. I'd get an online M.S. in Library Science. I'm sure there's some niche job waiting for someone with a combination of a P.E. license and a M.S. in Library Science.

Lawyer. Patent agent or patent attorney.

Math teacher. I actually taught a semester of high school algebra right after I finished my master's in E.E... the state had put out an emergency call for anyone willing to teach science or math.

Policy maker. IEEE lobbyist or some regulatory agency like FERC.

CIA/FBI.

Retail store owner/manager. Maybe sell computer games, comics, yarn, knitting supplies, other crafts. Sort of a "his and hers" hobby shop.

I'm with you bk11. It would be absolutely great to be a stay at home mom. Fairly tedious when the kids are small, but once they get older... I would have a huge vegetable garden and, if I needed some extra money, I might put my engineering skills to use and start a little business sewing window treatments and upholstry. But alas, I find that I must work for the man...

Ohh, finally a question I can answer with confidence. My grandfather was a farrier and he had two forges indoor and outdoor. I spent summers and winters with him: during the summer it was hard work dealing with the animals and such. But during the winter we would fire the outdoor forge and he/we would hammer forge custom knives and tools. I say he/we because it was my job to "shut-up, listen, learn and work the bellows" whlle he swung the hammer. That's what I would do...or am working to do. :)

In no particular order... Pilot, lawyer, machinist, truck driver, math/physics/engineering teacher, computer programmer, stay-at-home parent (or maybe just stay-at-home-alone-bum), painter (walls and buildings), tradesperson (millwright, plumbing, electrician, etc).

However, I think all of those may require additional training, at least to some degree, that would be hard to justify if I didn't have a paycheck coming in.

-- MechEng2005

This was a fun thread to read, but it is hard to imagine not being some kind of engineer. I really liked being a prototype machinist, and I would love to be a professional race car driver, but the reason I am good at both of those is because I approach them like everything else in life, as an engineer.

I couldn't be a surgeon, unlike electronics (my first career) and mechanical things (my current one), once people quit functioning you cant just store them away to fix later :)

I'd really like to be a hands-on evil genius, as opposed to the blundering Dr Evil. Haha. Maybe plan elaborate heists simply 'because I can' :)

But that's just my secret life! Options for daytime alter ego, in no particular order:

- run a bookstore (rental & used books)
- mountain guide
- open a nursery or run a farm
- run a nonprofit turtle sanctuary
- wildlife photographer
- telescope maker

the list could go on...

bk11...the deferred compensation is more than you can imagine, though obviously not in the bigger bank account sense. You will never get that time back with your kids so enjoy it while you can.

Become an author and write a book on "How to Improve Myself to Get Ahead in My Engineering Career".

Based on the number of stars I've got in this forum it'd be a best sellar I'm sure. Plus I'm sure none of you, or site admin, would mind be plagerising a post or two. Heck, maybe I could get on Oprah with that technique.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back