Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wheel load ratings and compatibility when considering non stock wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackCharvel

Geotechnical
Aug 24, 2024
US
I'm new to the site and am hoping some of you good folks can help me understand what I need to consider when looking at wheel options for my vehicle. I've searched this forum and gathered that wheels are typically designed to have a load rating that meets or exceeds half the heavier axle weight, or even the greatest tire load rating when other info isn't available. Also there is some indication that matching bolt patterns typically indicate that load rating should be sufficient for cross applications. This is where I'm hoping to get some confirmation.

My use case is a 2012 Toyota Sienna 3.5L FWD. I have the LE stock 17" wheels and am hoping to move to an 18"+ to make room for possible brake upgrades when that time comes, and for appearance considerations. I've been looking on the used market and options are limited in my area for oem Sienna (or similar weight class Toyota) wheels. Opening my options up to Camry or Lexus sedan wheels would open up my options. These have the same 5x114.3mm bolt pattern and hub bore as mine, but the Camry has a GVWR or 4,700lbs and the Sienna's GVWR is 6,000lbs. Is this enough to worry about? One thing I have noticed on the newer Siennas is that some have the exact wheels (appearance wise at least) as the Camry of the same year. I can't imagine they built that wheel with 2 different load ratings, so maybe that's the answer to my question.

To open my options further I could consider other company's oem wheels of the same bolt pattern. For example, Ford Mustang, Explorer, and I think Subaru WRX use 5x114.3 but have a larger center bore. Are any issues possible from going that route and using hub adapters?

I've asked this question several times over the last 6 months and haven't gotten anything resembling a credible answer. So I'm happy to have found this forum and appreciate any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, the US DOT doesn't require wheels to have specs written on them - unlike tires. Because of this, you need to be careful if they do publish specs. The wheel manufacturers aren't under the same scrutiny tire manufacturers are, so wheel manufacturers tend to make mistakes more often - in both directions.

Second, it is my understanding that wheel manufacturers do pay attention to load, but that's done in the design phase - and if the wheel manufacturer says the wheel fits the vehicle, you can be sure they looked at it. The impression I have is that if a wheel fits a hub, then it is OK load wise.

And one of the reasons you are having trouble is that wheel manufacturers are aware that they could be sued if they publish anything definitive. They prefer to keep the public uninformed rather than set themselves up for a potential lawsuit.

Jack said:
Is this enough to worry about? One thing I have noticed on the newer Siennas is that some have the exact wheels (appearance wise at least) as the Camry of the same year. I can't imagine they built that wheel with 2 different load ratings, so maybe that's the answer to my question.

Can you look up the part numbers online to see if they are the same?

CapriRacer said:
First, the US DOT doesn't require wheels to have specs written on them - unlike tires. Because of this, you need to be careful if they do publish specs. The wheel manufacturers aren't under the same scrutiny tire manufacturers are, so wheel manufacturers tend to make mistakes more often - in both directions.

Second, it is my understanding that wheel manufacturers do pay attention to load, but that's done in the design phase - and if the wheel manufacturer says the wheel fits the vehicle, you can be sure they looked at it. The impression I have is that if a wheel fits a hub, then it is OK load wise.

And one of the reasons you are having trouble is that wheel manufacturers are aware that they could be sued if they publish anything definitive. They prefer to keep the public uninformed rather than set themselves up for a potential lawsuit.

Ok, this all makes sense. I figured there had to be limited disclosure standards after not being able to find any good sources on this. I'm trying to stick to oem manufacturers for the quality assurance, but good to know aftermarket ratings may not be dependable. Thanks for the reply.

XR250 said:
Can you look up the part numbers online to see if they are the same?
It looks like I was mistaken. Looking at the Toyota brochures with all options and checking part numbers, there are no wheels shared by the 2 platforms. My brother bought a '21 Camry last year with what I assumed were stock wheels, but the previous owner must have put Sienna wheels on it.

Your current stock wheels have a bolt pattern of 5x114.3mm, which is common among many vehicles, including certain models of the Toyota Camry and Lexus sedans. This means that any wheel you consider must also have this bolt pattern to fit properly on your Sienna.
While it may seem concerning that you would use wheels designed for a lighter vehicle (the Camry), it’s important to note that many manufacturers produce wheels that can handle multiple applications across different models. If both vehicles share identical wheel designs (as seen in newer models), they likely have been tested for similar load capacities despite differences in GVWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back