when will the madness end ?

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
From flight today ...

IATA urges government action as it forecasts $128bn annual net-zero spend
24 Sep 2024

Airline association IATA forecasts an average of $128 billion in annual capital expenditure will be needed for the airline industry to reach net-zero emissions by 2050.

so the airline sector need to spend $128B per year to meet "Net Zero" goals ?? $1.3T per decade ... I guess airfare prices will be going up ?

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...and the number of flights could be diminished which will increase airfares even more.
-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

In reality, what will happen is costs will go way, way up and the populace will complain loudly. Politicians will be voted out of office and the airlines who refused these mandates (or only paid lip service to them) will benefit immensely and the ones that invest a ton in the idea of net zero will go bankrupt.

This is the problem with excess government regulation on businesses. The businesses are forced to invest time and resources in regulations that will almost certainly be reversed as soon as the political winds change even a little.

I don't know where climate change will take us. As far as over regulation, one of the few legitimate purposes of a government is to look after the long term interests of the people. Many are failing in this regard. Free enterprise does not consider this. The next few years will be interesting, in particular when it comes to EVs.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I also don't know where climate change, or our policies to avoid/prevent/mitigate climate change, will take us but I think it isn't good. I think Josh has a good point ... some companies will do the "right thing" and spend a lot on climate change initiatives, only for governments (and the general public) to change their mind, and the guys who did nothing will be laughing all the way to the bank.

IMHO social unrest (in part caused by our policies against climate change) will have far more impact on us than climate change.

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Including that caused by real climate change. A million people displaced by starvation caused by drought will likely have an impact on the geo-politics.

"Hurricane Helene" may just be the beginning, with the rapid intensification. It may be time 'to pay the piper' Casualties are cumulative... Initially just a few, and like Covid (nobody counts).

"At least 45 people have died and millions have been left without power as Hurricane Helene roared through the south-eastern US.

Officials continued daring rescues with boats, helicopters and large vehicles to help those stranded in floodwaters - including about 50 workers and patients who crowded on the roof of a flooded Tennessee hospital.

It was the most powerful storm on record to hit Florida's Big Bend and moved north into Georgia and the Carolinas after making landfall overnight on Thursday.

Insurers and financial institutions say damage caused by the storm could run into the billions of dollars."

-----*****-----

-Dik

I hope you are correct...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Climate change has nothing to do with politics, except that politics gets in the way of addressing it. Whatever will happen will occur irrespective of who is in power. Things have a potential of being terrible and what is happening now, may only be the precursor. I hope not, but Hurricane Helene may just be the beginning. We have to wait and see what turns out, and hope we can fix it.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Sorry Hokie... at least 63 (and there could be more) are the end!

-----*****-----

-Dik

...lives lost as a result of the last hurricane.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Yes... in the good old days, they wouldn't have warning. That's why fatalities have reduced over time.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Maybe both have changed and the number of fatalities have been reduced, too.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Back