when will the madness end ?

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
From flight today ...

IATA urges government action as it forecasts $128bn annual net-zero spend
24 Sep 2024

Airline association IATA forecasts an average of $128 billion in annual capital expenditure will be needed for the airline industry to reach net-zero emissions by 2050.

so the airline sector need to spend $128B per year to meet "Net Zero" goals ?? $1.3T per decade ... I guess airfare prices will be going up ?

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hokie and tug...

The number is now at 105 and maybe still counting... It's a good thing they had advanced notice...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Do you remember the story of the boy who cried wolf? Perhaps, because of all of the climate doomsaying, nobody takes the weather report seriously anymore.

Tell that to the 105 that woke up that day, never realising they would not see another day.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

135425220_10159904544473968_5682818369411168493_n.png_i0ob3a.png

Woof woof

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Every few years I come across my diary from the repair of a 2.2 MW power plant that was drenched with sea water by Hurricane Mitch.
Mitch hit the plant three times in three days.
Our generators were so saturated with sea water that the copper and the iron and the sea water electrolyte formed a primitive battery and I could read a small DC Voltage between the windings and the core.
I was able to dry that set out and bring the megger reading up to 7 MegOhms.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

We're well aware of that Greg... the reductions are mostly the result of early warning as was available for this one.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I'd argue that the reduction in climate related deaths is mostly due to the ownership of automobiles that allow people to actually heed the warnings.

I hate to bring up politics but didn't Trump promise to curtail the national weather service?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Project 2025 proposes to completely dismantle NOAA and the NWS and privatize weather forecasting data.

Whether or not you believe Trump plans to attempt to implement Project 2025 proposals probably depends on which of the two primary political narratives you subscribe to.

"... probably depends on which of the two primary political narratives you subscribe to." Do you mean Republicans think he won't, but Dems think he will ??

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

SwinnyGG said:
Project 2025 proposes to completely dismantle NOAA and the NWS and privatize weather forecasting data.
I decided to go look this up.

It says abolish the NOAA, with many functions eliminated, sent to other agencies, privatized, or placed under control of states/territories. It specifically mentions the NWS as being less reliable than private sector alternatives, and it would be better served commercializing its data that others already utilize better. So I think Project 2025 does not want to dismantle the NWS regardless of whether any presidential candidates are thinking if implementing what it says.

yes one of the unfortunate consequences of today’s climate narrative is the ideological capture of weather agencies. Instead of focusing on reporting the weather, these organizations have taken it upon themselves to emphasize climate change at every opportunity. And they certainly do. With each passing day, we’re inundated with reports of the "hottest ever third Tuesday of September" or similar records. Experiencing cold weather where you are? Well, the sea surface anomaly in the Southern Ocean is actually on the increase!

rb1957 said:
Do you mean Republicans think he won't, but Dems think he will ??

Generally, yes.

Project 2025 was most definitely an effort involving a great deal of Trump allies.

Trump has made a point to distance himself from that document after a few different bouts of public outrage over various parts of it.

Seems to me that, generally, those on the right believe his statements that the policy recommendations in the document won't be pursued if he's elected, while those on the left think that his statements are outright lies and the document represents his 'real' platform.

There's more nuance to the whole situation but in my view that seems to be the executive summary.

The Democrat response to Project 2025 is a sign that they are desperate. The Heritage Foundation think tank has been producing documents like this for 50 years, and never before have the Democrats been so strident and dishonest about the conservative goals.

Yes, abolish NOAA "research". A bunch of government funded yachts taking "researchers" on expeditions to the most scenic or tropical destinations.

Back